1. You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter or Google account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  2. This site uses some unobtrusive cookies to store information on your computer. For more information click the following link: Cookie Usage

sams reed frog tank

Discussion in 'Journals' started by samc, 23 Jan 2010.

1. samc

samc Member

MODS: if you dont want this here you can delete or move :D

a few guys have been interested in these little guys so i though i would start a thread here for my tank. also for people who are interested in getting some.

first off a few pics of them. they only grow to about an inch so idea if you dont have much room for tree frogs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is some good information about them. there isnt much on the net so it took a while to find good ones

http://www.pingleton.com/hyperolius/hyper.htm

http://www.pollywogsworldoffrogs.com/Text-html/caresheet-reedfrog.html

they are availible here in the uk
    http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/

i will post a pic of mine up later :thumbup:
  2. Maurits

Maurits Member

ghe ghe, you're lucky.

These tree frogs are really beautifull and quit easy to keep. A few things to keep in Mind. Take a paludarium ( = a wet terrarium ) aprox 60 cm high.

Don't keep them too cool, somewhere between 23-26 degrees Celsius is fine. plenty of plants in your paludarium and spray dan twice a day for 1-2 minutes ( try to keep humidity around 90 % )

difficult part might be the life food, as they like mostly small fruit fly's and small crickets ( I am producing my own fruit fies ) so am nog that concerned.

here's a picture a my latest buying which i have done this morning in Holland
    [​IMG]

I will open a seperate topic tomorrow, this is yours :D
  3. samc

samc Member

hey maurits :wave:

i forgot your the man for reptile and amphibians :D i have heard they like humidity low about 50-60%?

do you have any other infomation about these? ever kept them?

you are very welcome to post your tanks on here :thumbup: i wouldnt really call this a journal as such. but didnt know where else to put it.
  4. aquaticmaniac

aquaticmaniac Newly Registered

Damned cute! Makes me miss my amphibians and reptiles :( Maybe I'll give the reed frogs a go some time.
  5. Maurits

Maurits Member

Sam.

Personally I haven't I am more into the Dendrobates, The Lygodactylus williamsi which I have bought yesterday is actually the first time that I have something different.

But one of my best mates is keeping these tree frogs. On the Dutch frogsides is a lot of information available. :D so time to learn some Dutch I think

About temperature/ humidity
    Temp/ humidity: 22-26°C/ 60-80% daytime, 20-22°C/ 80-100% night time.

Difference male/ female. Female's are bigger and same color as males, so it might be sometimes difficult to see the difference but only the Male is making the noise and is a little bit smaller.

Click here or one of the Dutch sides, this one is in English as well. I know these people and there are one of the experts on frogs http://www.plumifrons.com/
  6. samc

samc Member

thanks for the info maurits :D

heres a few pics of mine. unfortunatly its not that tall :( i will give them lots of echindorus to climb though. all of which i still need to add.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spraybar for rain effect/clean front glass
    [​IMG]

i was thinking of getting some killifish for the water. would they get eaten?
  7. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Member

This is a great thread. There is a great abundance of information available online about dart frogs, but I have found very little about African reed frogs. I am interested to hear how they do in this setup. Have you put them into the display enclosure yet? I wonder how they might do in a riparium-type display. I have been advised against using PDFs in a riparium because they can drown readily if they fall into deep water, but I wonder if these frogs might be suitable. Riapriums don't really have any true land area (just lots of emersed foliage) but one could make a small ledge or raft easily enough.
  8. samc

samc Member

thanks :D this is my first go at keeping frogs so i dont really know much about frogs. i have heard that PDF's drown easy too. i think they can swim quite well being more of a water edge frog rather than all land like PDF's. not sure how they would do in a riparium though. do the rafts move about? if it had enough dry land i would say it would be ok
  9. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Member

I'll be interested to hear how these frogs behave. If they spend most of their time up in the foliage I might be more inclined to try them out in a riparium setup.

It would be pretty easy to include a raft for them to use. The rafts clip sturdily into place. While they generally get covering with plant stems, a raft or two in the enclosure could also be planted just with Java moss to form a little moist lawn area for the frogs.
  10. Garuf

Garuf Member

Update?
  11. Veneer

Veneer Newly Registered

I'd appreciate updates if you still have this setup going, or are still keeping reeds. I'm also contemplating housing some of these frogs in a riparium setup.
  12. jack-rythm

jack-rythm Member

amazing frogs :) im into stuff like this, mates breed snakes I bred dragons and its great to see this now, I have been thinking about taking on another water dragon project now im more into my aquascaping.. Great to see this stuff, makes a change, that blue lizard is just amazing.. :)
  13. sanj

sanj Member

They are great, I remember Maurits thread, I cant remember if it was here or on another forum. Surprised it is not more popular.