• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Self build acryllic tank

prdad

We've just had a rather large laser cutter installed at work and I'm thinking of building a 2ft cube to half fill with water and grow emerged in the other half. In my smaller tank with a lid I was getting 95% humidity. I'll install a door in the upper half.

Has anybody any experience or links In building such a tank or what plants would work well?

Thanks

Warren

Not too sure you can cut acrylic with a laser cutter and end up with edges suitable for gluing ?

Laser cutting acrylic is perfect. It even flame polishes the edge for you. The only problem is on very thick pieces and the angle created by the focusing of the laser beam.

I've already made a smaller version as a prototype. I'm yet to water test it! I Might try tomorrow and take some pics. I had a problem with bubbles appearing in the solvent. Hopefully nothing that will cause a leak tho...

from what I remember acrylic glues work by effectively melting the 2 edges to be joined and fusing them together you always get small bubbles etc (same as when doing airfix kits effectively)

what you can do is fill the inner corners of the seals using an acrylic filler to water tight them.

what I don't get is why people don't just use silicone it'll bond to acrylic as well as it does to glass.

I am pretty sure silicone will not give a lasting or structural bond to acrylic, you can just pull away silicone from acrylic once it has cured!
You can use silicone to seal acrylic if there is also a mechanical fixing, just not bond with it.
Cyanoacrylate adhesive work well I have used joiners mate two-part cyanoacrylate 10 second glue to good effect but it is all about getting the perfect bonding edge & laser cutters are perfect for the job :)
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cyanoacry ... s/0113020/

Years ago I glued acrylic sheets. I spaced apart the gaps using needles, applied solvent glue, allowing it to seep between the gap then remove the needles. You end up with a bubble free joint. Job done. :D

The trick with butt joining laser cut acrylic is to use the right adhesive.

The "pecking" action that most lasers use introduces lots of fine imperfections.

Cyanoacrylate tends to work into the imperfections, where it expands as it cures. The cracks form almost explosively.

There are resin types that overcome this. We've used "Tensol" at work, which comes in different grades and thicknesses. A bit of care (and practice) can result in a lovely bubble free join.

I'd love to see your efforts with this - the option to use different coloured or opacity panels in strategic places really appeals.

Back