• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should I add ferts to my tank or continue to wait?

Aqua Hero

I planted my new scape about 4-5 days ago but I haven't dosed it with any ferts yet. Most of the plants were grown emersed so there is a bit of melt in some plants (eg monte Carlo and hygrophilia) but it's not excessive. But at the same time these plants are showing signs of new growth.

Due to having high ammonia readings I've been keeping up with daily 50% water changes.

I watched a YouTuber called MJAquascapes and he recommended to wait until 3 weeks before adding ferts to the tank while the emersed growth is transitioning as there is plenty of nutrients in the water column that is being leeched from the soil and the root tabs.

But other articles I've read such as 2HrAquarists states that you should dose straight away to help the plants transition.

Honestly the conflicting opinions in the hobby can be quite annoying but what are most people's opinions on this

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hi,
My personal take on it is to fertilize from day one just as the photoperiod commences. It will take the best part of a couple of weeks for the plants to show noticeable signs of growth (from initial planting) and I can't really see the point of stressing them out all over again by vastly increasing the amount of fertz in the water column, i.e. commencing dosing. Stability is one of several main factors for a successful planted tank so why not try to give them it straightaway. Frequent 50% water changes will keep the TDS/fert balance in check.
Having said all that MJ creates stunning scapes with very little algae so as always the caveat, 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'.

@Aqua Hero
My take on this is if you are doing regular water changes you don't need to at the start-up stage!
Caveat.... it depends on what's in your Tap-water.
hoggie

Back