• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

snail identification

Mr. Teapot

Just popped out at lunchtime and came across these interesting looking snails. Has anyone seen either before, or know anything about them? I think they were described as 'Tri colour snails' for the first pic and 'helmet nerite' for the second.
14409527269_4fc5d3c350_c_d.jpg

14409474890_5ba9aa61f0_c_d.jpg

Hi all,
First one looks like a Sulawesi Tylomelania sp. <http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3053>. The bottom one is a limpet of some description, rather than a Nerite (based on the absence of an operculum). I know there are limpets in Lake Poso, species of Protancylus, but it isn't a snail I've ever seen and that would just be a guess.

cheers Darrel

Yeah I was looking at Sulawesi snails in a pets at home and there was a lot of shell damage such as that, I was in there about a month ago when they first got them and the shells were completely black and they looked pretty impressive. They also had at least one assassin snail in the tank. They do seem to get pretty large

Looking at the google pictures, I think you're spot on Edvert - thanks.

They would look really interesting in a big tank… perhaps a really big tank of 400 gallons?

Back