• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snail Problem

please advise i have a serious snails problem. . Is there a way to kill and or eliminate the population ? Note that in Europe the poison for killing them is not allowed anymore. .
Thank you Costas .....

Hi Costas,
The solution is simple...just get yourself a couple of assassin snails. I have had these useful predators in my community tank for years and have no problem with them. They are active hunters with a voracious appetite and will hunt down these pest snails in no time.
So you're probably thinking "What will they eat after the pest snail population is devoured?" :nailbiting:. Well, just wait till the pests are almost eliminated, then get hold of a few Malaysian trumpet snails (aka MTS) and the assassins will have a source of food to keep them happy. MTS are fine in your tank, all they eat is algae and slime off the surface of plants and they turn the substrate over which is a good thing.
Alternatively make a D-I-Y snail trap (you'll find tons of these on YouTube) and bait it with some cucumber, leave it in the tank at night time and et voila! Be sure to make sure the hole in the trap is large enough for the bigger snails to enter. There are other older threads on the subject so you may find better options there than mine.
All the best, happy hunting and good luck :wave:

You're welcome Costas,
I honestly cannot comment on the dosage of Flubendazole. To be honest when I started out in this hobby in 2009 I ran into all kind of problems, algae, pests etc. I never achieved any any long term success by dosing my tank with chemicals. I only started getting results when I went about tackling the root cause, I chanced upon the use of assassins to combat pests somewhere in this forum and I have never had a problem with pest snails. In addition to that my assassins population are under control.
Sure you can dose with Flubendazole, but what happens the next time you introduce snails in your tank by accident? If you hold tight I'm pretty sure someone may pick up this thread and provide an answer with regards to the right dosage.

Here's a thread listed under "Snail Problem" from 2013 hope it helps click below:
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/snail-problem.28114/

Thank you Sir . You was very helpfull ...
Iam sure from your experience the Assassin Snails will work on the problem but first i will test the Flubentazole solution for the experience or curiosity ...... To see if it work ..... As for The dosage i will start very low and increase it as i have no ideal How much i must use .... If i fail then i go on the assassin snails .
Costas

Last edited:
Back