• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Something easy, fast growing and bushy - hygrophilia?

zoon

I had an algae issue with my tank (juwel lido with internal filter removed and replaced with tetratec ex1200) put it down to too much light (not used to these t5s - previously had 600litres of low tech with a couple of t8s. Had no idea that downsizing would be more difficult!), not enough ferts, not enough water movement. Was dosing plenty of liquid co2 to try to get rid of algae so don't think it was lack of co2.

Anyway, tank stripped down, filter cleaned (it was gross so don't think I am cleaning it enough - again used to low tech where I dont think I touched the filters for years as it was always fine whenever I opened it up) spray bar acquired to help with water movement and big air pump added for water movement and help in this hot weather - lost some fish last year as water got too hot and not enough O2.

Nailed the hardscape - three bits of wood thrown in and happened to look perfect :). Despite it being old wood that was in my big tank for years, it has leached out loads of tannins - not bothered about this, but it seems to have dulled the light down - will it actually do that or is it an optical illusion with the colour of the water?

Had some mini java fern, a massive load of java moss and a few crypts in the post yesterday from a lovely forum member. Java fern promptly added to wood, crypts planted along the sides and hours spent trying java moss down. Not sure about the java moss, but have tied onto a square of mesh, so can always move it about if I change my mind. Will let it grow and see what I think.

Now I think I need something at the back that is tall and bushy to cover up equipment - filter inlet etc. I used to have some sort of hygrophilia in my big tank that was fab - really bushy and grew quickly and easily. No idea what type it was, so hoping someone could suggest something?

Also have ei questions - but will do another post for that. Think key to keeping this all alive and algae free if sorting the ferts out!

Does my tank count as high tech? Tried for it not to be! But so expensive to replace the lights that came with the lido, it was easier just to buy some liquid co2! People told me it killed algae too so I was sold ;).[DOUBLEPOST=1406288641][/DOUBLEPOST]Not a fan of the Limnophila sessiliflora btw - just googled it. Want something more leafy

If you're using liquid carbon then most would count it as high tech. I take it you're dosing enough ferts, you did mention sorting that out. To help flow and oxygenation of the water have the spray bar slightly under the water line and pointing directly at the front of the tank. The air pump is fine with liquid carbon but you might have finer control with a small power head (but not really needed). Floating plants are great for fast growth / mopping up waste but I find the spray bar has a tendancy to kill floaters off pretty quickly.

If you go to a sight light tropica or aqua essentials you'll see some nice brush plants. I was jsut giving you a suggestion with the Limnophila sessiliflora there are a few similar to it.

Hygrophila siamensis and Hygrophila polysperma would grow leafy and bushy..........and quite quickly. Rotala rotundifolia is easy, smaller leaf and bushy, and grow quick, too. If you are after serious "leafy", to cover equipment, consider Echinodorus bleherii - one of the easiest, but really nice, planted a few in a group!! Most Cryptocorynes will tolerate growing in the shade in front of, but under the Ech. bleherii, thereby making a nice transition.
All of these plants are very tolerant of broad range of conditions (= foolproof).

Back