• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stems ID

tiger15

I got these unnamed grab bag stems from auction that originated from plant farm in Florida. They are outdoor grown and I have no clue if the foliage is submerged, immersed or semi. I took pics from different angle in a bowl where the 4 stems are under quarantine. Can you guess what they are.

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    912.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0473.jpeg
    IMG_0473.jpeg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    993.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0471.jpeg
    IMG_0471.jpeg
    918.1 KB · Views: 82
1. Myriophyllum aquaticum
2. Lobelia cardinalis
3. Alternanthera cardinalis
4. Fittonia
?
I guess you are right except for 4 which would not be an aquatic plant. The source is from a reputable aquatic plant farm, and I doubt that it will mix houseplant with aquatic.

4 is probably Ludwigia Atlantis
I guess you are right. Atlantis has the signature conspicuous vein structure. On second look at 2, it also has conspicuous vein structure somewhat resembling Atlantis, but deep red stems. Could it be another Atlantic grown under different condition or another Ludwigia species. Lobelia cardinalis is a common perennial, but I’ve never tried it in my tank or in garden as I prefer long live perennial. From my research, Lobelia cardinalis is a short live perennial and most unusual in that the terrestrial foliage is red versus green submerged. Time will confirm it is a Lobelia if its foliage will transform to green.

The new stems acclimate well and send out new leaves. 1 and 3 are definitely Myriophyllum and Alternanthera. Myrio grows fast, already sending out pinkish leaves above water but dropping lower leaves. 2 is not Lobelia as the new leaves are not oval and green, but bright red and petite, so I suspect it is Ludwigia, probably “super red”. 4 sent out new leaves that have a touch of orange. I still think it is L. Atlantis, but with a slight chance L. Ovalis as both share conspicuous veins.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpeg
    IMG_0477.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Back