• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggested photo period for my new tank

Fran

Hi all, I have 4 54w T5s with reflectors on my 5ft tank which are about 26 inches above the surface. I have read advice somewhere on this forum that newly planted tanks should have lower lighting levels starting off and then gradually increased. I started off my tank about one month ago and had all lights on for 7 hors but have now decreased this last week by having all tubes on for only four hours with 2 tubes on for 90 mins each side of this period. Am having issues with brown powdery algae and assume this is caused by lighting. Any suggestions welcome.

Hi Fran,
youve done the right thing reducing intensity and the length of photoperiod.
What you seem to be describing are diatom algae, often associated with new set ups, but will pass with good tank husbandry and lower lighting intensities. A clean up crew or CUC, of shrimp, ottos and possibly crossochelius sp. will help in combating these early issues and any further down the line. Of course we dont know your intentions for the tank, so alternatives may need to be found, but as a first point reducing the lighting intensity and increasing water change frequency will go a long way to ridding the diatom stage.
Id suggest a 5 hr photoperiod to start in the first few weeks and gradually increasing to a maximum of 8 hours over the coming months if all is well. 4X T5 over a 5 foot doesnt sound overkill, especially given the height at which the lights are suspended, but carry on with using the staggered lighting, perhaps with full intensity for only 3 hours rather than 4 to reduce the overall photoperiod to 6 hours.
Are you injecting c02 or adding a liquid carbon and how are your plants doing?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi and thanks for the reply. I am using injected co2 and the plants in general are doing quite well, look healthy except for the ones with the algae but overall it seems under control and has not increased since I lowered the lighting level. Will lower the period to what you suggested. Already have Amano shrimp and Siamese Flying Fox which are constantly grazing. Thanks again.

Back