• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Superfish Scaper 60 - First Scape

Lincoln2020

Hello and Happy New Year!

I'm sharing my first scape as I'd love to hear your opinions and advice.

I'm new to the hobby so opted for a low tech, budget option in the Scaper 60. I picked this tank up with HOB filter, 28W light, liquid fertilizer & co2 included or £95 which I thought was a good deal.

The tank has been set up for one week at the time of writing, and I am yet to do a water change (to avoid disturbing the aquasoil)!!

My main concerns are:
  • I've read the included 269 PAR light is way too bright for this size of a scape, so I have covered 2/3 of the light with black tape, on for 6 hours per day - what amount of light would be most beneficial?
  • Are the included fertiliser and co2 worth using? I dosed daily for the first few days, the bottles don't recommend a schedule just provide dosages.
  • Water is very slightly cloudy/milky, not sure if bacterial bloom or algae?
  • Anubias and Cryptocoryne don't seem to be doing too well, whilst others like the Limnophila look to be growing fine. Is it a case of waiting? Included a list of all I have planted.
  • I seem to have gained a baby snail of some sort - assume he came with the one of plants, will he do any harm?

I'd like to add some more reds, and carpeting plants as well as some floaters, and eventually some shrimp and tetras once the tank is well established.

Any feedback is most welcome as I am very much still learning!!

- Lincoln :)

Attachments

• IMG_3237.jpg
    IMG_3237.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3300.jpg
    IMG_3300.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3308.jpg
    IMG_3308.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3309.jpg
    IMG_3309.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3310.jpg
    IMG_3310.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 79
Hello, and welcome to UKAPS.

if your‘e adding liquid carbon, you are technically high tech.
What’s the light you are using?

Regarding your plants, crypts, the Java fern (Mircosorum) and Anubias don’t need much light. Have you attached the Microsorum and Anubias to the wood - they won’t do well planted. The H. pinnatifada needs a lot of light to be at its best, and will turn red. It’s a tricky plant though. Crypts often struggle when first planted, and leaves will melt and fall off. Give it time and they will come back. What substrate are you using? Crypts like a fertile substrate so may be worth adding some fertiliser plugs.

You will need the fertiliser and should use at least as much as suggested. I’m not familiar with it - does it list what nutrients it provides? If it does perhaps share a photo and some of the more proficient folks around here can advise on how much/frequency. Ideally you’ll add NPK (nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium) and micro nutrients to grow plants successfully.

Hello, and welcome to UKAPS.

if your‘e adding liquid carbon, you are technically high tech.
What’s the light you are using?

Regarding your plants, crypts, the Java fern (Mircosorum) and Anubias don’t need much light. Have you attached the Microsorum and Anubias to the wood - they won’t do well planted. The H. pinnatifada needs a lot of light to be at its best, and will turn red. It’s a tricky plant though. Crypts often struggle when first planted, and leaves will melt and fall off. Give it time and they will come back. What substrate are you using? Crypts like a fertile substrate so may be worth adding some fertiliser plugs.

You will need the fertiliser and should use at least as much as suggested. I’m not familiar with it - does it list what nutrients it provides? If it does perhaps share a photo and some of the more proficient folks around here can advise on how much/frequency. Ideally you’ll add NPK (nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium) and micro nutrients to grow plants successfully.
Hi and thanks for your response!

I'm using the included Superfish Scaper LED 60 light [28W / 269 PAR rating / Lux 16100 / 7300K].

The java fern is attached to a rock, Anubias is planted so I'll move it (tie it?) to the wood - thank you! The crypts did struggle at first, I removed some melted leaves which had fallen off. The aquasoil I'm using is Fluval Stratum.

The Flora Grow fertilizer doesn't include nitrates or phosphates, but says it includes iron, magnesium, potassium and cobalt? Whats the most effective way of adding NPK and micronutrients? Would the aquasoil alone be sufficient?

Thanks again

L

I'm using the included Superfish Scaper LED 60 light [28W / 269 PAR rating / Lux 16100 / 7300K].
I think you can buy a controller for it to reduce the intensity. Probably worth it at the start to avoid algae issues.
The Flora Grow fertilizer doesn't include nitrates or phosphates, but says it includes iron, magnesium, potassium and cobalt? Whats the most effective way of adding NPK and micronutrients? Would the aquasoil alone be sufficient?
Your aquasoil will deplete, so best to add fertiliser. For a small tank you could use TNC Complete - it’s an all in one and makes life very easy.

Hey welcome,
if you don't have pressurised Co2 then yes use liquid carbon daily.
Anubias are better off the soil either wood or rocks, they love both as long the roots are not covered. Do not worry about the crypt as it will explode in growing it just needs a bit of time settling, in my experience more time compared to other plants.
Regarding the snail that is ramshorn snail, some people consider them a pest as they are not beautiful to see and they will reproduce like crazy, some other people think they are great as they eat tons of algae (the fact that they eat algae is true even if you don't like to see them).
Cheers Jacopo

Back