• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Supplementing Juwel T5 lighting

waynest

Seedling
Hello

My juwel 240l has the standard T5 2x54w giving about 2wpg

I'd like to increase to ~3wpg

Wondering if anyone has boosted their lighting with LEDs etc without replacing the original unit?

Thanks
Wayne

Some people have managed to get two more 54W T5 tubes attached to the lid flaps. But looked a slight bodge as flaps don't shut properly.

Also seen 4 off grobeam 500's attached to flaps as well.

Hey Wayne

I have tried both appraches Ian mentioned.

On my first Rio125 I added an extra ballast with 2 more T5's.

More recently - I added two grobeam 600's to the hood, but drilling a hole in the flaps and screwing the lights directly to them using grub screws.

This worked to a point, but made maintenance a pain in the ass - wires everywhere in the hood. And in actual fact, 2 T5s and 2 Grobeam 600s was probably far too much light.

In the end, I got rid of the T5s and the hood.

CGCUIOzVIAAw2rN.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, I think the led lamps in the pic look brill but out of budget for me

I did find that Juwel are selling a 3 piece flap set so you can add another of their T5 fixtures, I might give that a go as at least it would be neat and tidy

Flap set £35, fixture complete with bulbs £105

216 watts is a bit more than I had in mind though :cool:

The lights were £149 for a pair, and the risers were £22 for the pair.

You also need some of the mounting bar to join it all together.

Might work out slightly cheaper in the long term?

Aaron

It will be much cheaper to buy one ballast and 2 T5 tubes and find some space to put them in the hood. For the cables you can use some cable ties and keep them with the actual cable. In this way you can put them on a timer. ;)

The ballast will be something like 15£ and the tubes 10 £, cable...another 6-10£.

Back