• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal The Mermaid’s Rockpool Garden

Interesting development, perhaps all the sources of my problems are anemones…

So a few week ago I bought my third and fourth rock flower anemones. The first one I got did well, but sat in a hole in the top of a rock, so you can only see it well from above, so tbh I didn’t pay that much attention to it. The second, which looked a bit different, got eaten and died from the peppermint shrimps.

With the quitting of my third and fourth, I started to realise that my first rock flower anemone looks distinctly… different, other than the nice colours. It’s less fluffy and honestly just looks… more evil. The tentacles are pointier and glow at the end. It’s also grown a lot since I last got it, and is now at 10cm. Today I looked at it and thought… I wonder if that could be eating my fish and that’s why they’re disappearing? It also eats bits of prawn really quickly. Note in the photo that the yellow polyps, a notably invasive coral grow away room the anemone at a precise distance. Also note that my second anemone got eaten, but this one didn’t. Hmmm.

6F7A57E7-AAB4-49DC-A585-7208CCF2915B.jpeg
3B539CA4-9DBC-4C91-AE1F-3EFB8703FA89.jpeg

I’ve asked along the reef forums to see if someone can ID it. Either way apparently if it’s not a common known species, it’s probably one which shouldn’t be kept with small fish. We’ll see, it’s gonna be a blahblahblahblahblahblahblah to get out!

Last edited:
it’s gonna be a blahblahblahblahblahblahblah to get out!
Point a powerhead at it, or get a credit card under the foot, healthy fish are usually strong enough to escape an anemone, but it seems you’ve definitely come across the answer with this one.

(Just be mindful that upsetting anemones can often lead to them splitting, then you’ll have two)

Might rule that out then, I personally wouldn’t ever trust a hydrometer or a refractometer as they don’t have the ability to be calibrated.
My reason for asking is unexplained deaths often are the result of low SG.
Oh sorry I got the name wrong, I did mean refractometer, the strange mini telescope. What would you use instead? It’s totally possible. When I measured all the parameters nothing weird showed up (I dosed with All For Reef regularly along with the usual macroalgae ferts too).

Oh sorry I got the name wrong, I did mean refractometer, the strange mini telescope. What would you use instead? It’s totally possible. When I measured all the parameters nothing weird showed up (I dosed with All For Reef regularly along with the usual macroalgae ferts too).
I have always used the Hanna checker. They come with a calibration fluid and really good. (Not cheap though)
I’ve never used a refractometer that hasn’t failed and given me a false reading.

That said, there’s probably others that use them with no ill effect, so it’s all personal experience I suppose.

Get rid of the nem, and you’ll be back on track. As others have said, you’re little ocean is lovely and something to be really proud of.

Last edited:
I have always used the Hanna checker. They come with a calibration fluid and really good. (Not cheap though)
I’ve never used a refractometer that hasn’t failed and given me a false reading.

That said, there’s probably others that use them with no ill effect, so it’s all personal experience I suppose.

Get rid of the nem, and you’ll be back on track. As others have said, you’re little ocean is lovely and something to be really proud of.
I've always used a refractometer and never had issues with salinity.

You can calibrate a refractometer and I would be doing so periodically.

I'm not familiar with that type of anemone, but it's certainly possible it could take a small fish, though i wouldn't think it would be taking many.

With RO water yes. Cleanliness and small scratches can also impact the reading for Specific Gravity (we don’t test Salinity), these are just some other reasons I’m not a fan.
It is all personal experience. Some do even swear by hygrometers and have never had problems.

Point a powerhead at it, or get a credit card under the foot, healthy fish are usually strong enough to escape an anemone, but it seems you’ve definitely come across the answer with this one.

(Just be mindful that upsetting anemones can often lead to them splitting, then you’ll have two)
It’s wedged right in a hole, but I’ll give it a go! Seems like a good poking might do it from looking online.

I’m not entirely convinced that it’s a serial killer anemone, but I worry that its sting is powerful enough to weaken some of them, especially as the ones that died are all rock-clinging/slithering fish. The tentacles def have a sinister look to them , enough so that I will take it out just in case.

It would leave space for something nice too, does gonipora/bernardpora sting small fish or just other corals? 😂

Omg the price of that Hanna checker 🤯

I've always used a refractometer and never had issues with salinity.

I'm not familiar with that type of anemone, but it's certainly possible it could take a small fish, though i wouldn't think it would be taking many.
I think I’ll be sticking with regularly recalibrating! I did it once and it wasn’t hard at least.

Yeah I’m not sure about the anemone, I think it’s possible it might have taken or sickened one, and tbh for me that’s one too many. Do not like endangering the fish. If I was going for that sort of tank, there are many more fabulous anemones to keep. The goal is peace and harmony!

With RO water yes. Cleanliness and small scratches can also impact the reading for Specific Gravity (we don’t test Salinity), these are just some other reasons I’m not a fan.
It is all personal experience. Some do even swear by hygrometers and have never had problems.

I know some people do use RO but I would always use a proper calibration fluid.

It’s wedged right in a hole, but I’ll give it a go! Seems like a good poking might do it from looking online.
Something like this might work: Anemone cannon. I haven't tried it myself though, when I had to move one of my bubble tips I just kept annoying it (carefully) with a pair of soft tweezers until it decided that it had had enough and detached. Remember to wear gloves too, if the anemone is strong enough to take fish it wont be nice to fingers either.

Also, you have an amazing system there! I've got a slightly bigger tank that's mainly growing Caulerpa prolifera at the moment, but would love to make something like yours out of it in the future.

In honesty and in my own experience, all corals are fine with fish, I’ve never come across anemones eating live fish either.
Infact in the wild and in aquariums certain fish will eat at Anemone, this is why they have a sim-biotic relationship with clownfish (in part)
Goni’s are lovely corals but are very aggressive towards others, Alveopora which are very similar in appearance (often called flower pot corals) are a nice option too

On a side note. Apologies if I’ve caused offence or come off a little strong. It’s a personality flaw of mine (I’m very direct).

Lastly, although expensive , the Hanna checker really is a worthy investment, they’re super simple and convenient and also tell you the temperature along side specific gravity.

Damn this sounds like stuff of horror movies!!
There's way more weird, mysterious and scary things in marine... I love it! :p Wish the anemones were more chill though

I know some people do use RO but I would always use a proper calibration fluid.
Ah I'll look out for some of that! I use RO atm.

Something like this might work: Anemone cannon. I haven't tried it myself though, when I had to move one of my bubble tips I just kept annoying it (carefully) with a pair of soft tweezers until it decided that it had had enough and detached. Remember to wear gloves too, if the anemone is strong enough to take fish it wont be nice to fingers either.

Also, you have an amazing system there! I've got a slightly bigger tank that's mainly growing Caulerpa prolifera at the moment, but would love to make something like yours out of it in the future.
Yeah I was thinking of trying the annoying it method first, but this cannon technique is really clever, I can imagine it working well. I'm still not convinced it's bad though, kinda want to keep it and see what happens. I think the water quality is a more likely factor atm.

Thank you :) Slightly bigger... so much potential! Get yourself some more macros stat!

In honesty and in my own experience, all corals are fine with fish, I’ve never come across anemones eating live fish either.
Infact in the wild and in aquariums certain fish will eat at Anemone, this is why they have a sim-biotic relationship with clownfish (in part)
Goni’s are lovely corals but are very aggressive towards others, Alveopora which are very similar in appearance (often called flower pot corals) are a nice option too

On a side note. Apologies if I’ve caused offence or come off a little strong. It’s a personality flaw of mine (I’m very direct).

Lastly, although expensive , the Hanna checker really is a worthy investment, they’re super simple and convenient and also tell you the temperature along side specific gravity.
Fabulous! At least if I don't have this cool anemone, I can get a nice coral to replace it like the goni or alveopora. One day I really want a clownfish, but was planning on waiting for the toadstools to get substantial first.

My friend also has said he doesn't think that this anemone could actually be hurting the fish and I shouldn't worry about it, at best they'll take something that's already at death's door. It did eat a whole prawn from Aldi yesterday though when I tested how much it could eat 😳 I want to poke it to see if it can sting me, but perhaps after the current round of strikes are over... just in case! I'm quite fond of it and it's strange sinister beauty.

And no worries, no offence caused at all! :)

it can sting me
I doubt it will if I’m honest, however I’m sure I’ve heard of people having reactions to certain coral (or invertebrates in this case as anemone are not coral) that are completely safe to the average person.
I can only imagine the anemone you have has been handled lots by the time it’s reached your tank.

Regarding clownfish, it’s not an exact science having them hosted by a coral or anemone, most of they end up being hosted by something random like the outflow to a filter or the underside of a wave maker etc……

You’d be surprised what corals will try and fit inside their mouths, I’ve seen zoas trying to consume empty hermit shells.

Back