• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The temperature for Fish

Heater failed two nights ago, and the tetras in that tank went down to 12c They were lethargic, pale and not looking good. Pretty sure I’d have lost them if I did t catch it sooner (within 24 hours)
Wow! That was lucky! Time to get an Inkbird! :)

Also, worth keeping in mind there will cold spots in tanks and temp settings on heaters will very likely be pretty inexact. Probably best to err on the side of caution.

On that note, around here most people use simple glass thermometers or cheap digital equipment, with no reliable calibration. They boast about their +/- 0.2 thermostat range, but ignore the probable +/- 2ºC equipment precision.

On that note, around here most people use simple glass thermometers or cheap digital equipment, with no reliable calibration. They boast about their +/- 0.2 thermostat range, but ignore the probable +/- 2ºC equipment precision.
Yes, I did go through calibration with mine - just so I could be sure!

Although, I think to some degree, it shows the temperature is not always important. i.e. if you thermometer is showing 24.5C, and its actually 23.5C, then you are not going to do too much damage to the fish. Its going to be the extremities where that lack of accuracy causes you more of a problem.

Hi all,
On that note, around here most people use simple glass thermometers
<"Definitely my choice">, you can get properly calibrated scientific grade spirit filled ones pretty cheaply.

Personally I use the method in <"In search of an accurate thermometer">
I never take any notice of the digital ones, they all become inaccurate over time. Usually I just put my hand against the tank glass. As long as it doesn't feel noticeably hot, or cold, things are OK.
I'm a luddite but @sparkyweasel says:
.... When I worked in electronics, I costed making a thermometer which would give the same accuracy. It would have cost well over £100 for the components at wholesale prices. At the time, aquarium thermometers were under £1.
I also knew that if I built it, it would have been military/aerospace quality construction, and I would have had my mate inspect it to be certain it complied. I doubt if that applies to the £5 ones you can buy now..........
cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Also, worth keeping in mind there will cold spots in tanks and temp settings on heaters will very likely be pretty inexact. Probably best to err on the side of caution

Yes, I did go through calibration with mine - just so I could be sure!

Although, I think to some degree, it shows the temperature is not always important. i.e. if you thermometer is showing 24.5C, and its actually 23.5C, then you are not going to do too much damage to the fish. It’s going to be the extremities where that lack of accuracy causes you more of a problem.
👍, consistency is more important than whether you are half a degree out imho
Most fish won’t be in the least bit bothered as long as the temperature is within a sensible range, it’s more important if keeping w/c fish

Green aqua say 22-23 for plants I think, but obviously some fish species prefer warmer. I've always stuck to that. Like @castle I've had my heater unplugged overnight before and found all the fish lying around the bottom. They perked up fine and seemed none the worse for wear (they were neons and embers iirc) Certainly wouldn't do that to them on a nightly basis though!

Back