• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The wood pile

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
As life is busy and I was struggling to keep 4 planted tanks I broke my 60 down and left it empty for a while.
What I didn't count on was how annoying an empty tank would be!
Setting up a loose Asian 'biotope' low maintenance tank had been an itch I'd had for a long time so by impulse I grabbed a bunch of materials and threw this together in about half an hour a week or so ago.

Coming back to the forum after a little time away it seems everyone is doing black water, so here's mine to add to the club.

In the tank
Ada Amazonia
Petrified wood
Manzanita
Loads of oak, catappa and alder cones
Little cabomba in the back
Silvinia natans and frogbit
Variegated Philodendron sp.
Ficus Columbia
May add some buce's later
Tds 80
Ph 5.8 ish
26c
Guess GH 4 maybe??

Stock is licorice gourami at the moment
Simoni simoni shrimp soon
Would like some chocolates but not for the moment.
Loads of critters... Cyclops, micro worms and other weird wrigglers.

iPhone with 24hr 1w led on
yjy5umas.jpg

Rock on top just holding the wood as didn't soak.
Also runs a tmc 1000HD tile for 7 hours, very mature crystalprofi 901e on 1/4 flow via Lily's.

7 Paras went in yesterday as they needed rescuing from the shop, they have coloured up great and seem really happy fattening up on critters.

Have a good bank holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
thanks lee, tough to tell while young but from looking at the biggest male best guess would be bintan or gunawani due to the round tail and blue edging, Allani is possible but no visible black dot on caudal fin yet.
Now ive seen all seven out and about i think i have 4 males and 3 females..... no idea what a good mix is?[DOUBLEPOST=1399314140][/DOUBLEPOST]reading a bit more, my new guess would be bintan as gunawani doesnt seem to be imported according to para project.....

Last edited:
Hi Iain! I think it's usually best to have a balanced ratio, however I think it's pretty impossible to tell when we buy the fish as they never show full colour in the dealers tanks. I don't think you have anything to worry about though. I have 4 males to 3 females, and haven't had any incidents. Paros are non aggressive and are more about showing off rather than nipping. My males are always flashing each other. :)

[/DOUBLEPOST]reading a bit more, my new guess would be bintan as gunawani doesnt seem to be imported according to para project.....[/quote]

I think its almost impossible to tell until they start showing full colour. The paro project is defiantly the best place to ask though.

I could be wrong but I'm sure Colin from the fish hut was importing p. gunawani?

Who knows then?! Time will tell.
I've got a nippy male, keeps nipping the same spot in the middle of the caudal on one other, tail is split in two.
Now they are feeding it should heal quickly and hopefully he will settle now they aren't as stressed.

Who knows then?! Time will tell.
I've got a nippy male, keeps nipping the same spot in the middle of the caudal on one other, tail is split in two.
Now they are feeding it should heal quickly and hopefully he will settle now they aren't as stressed.

Nice little blackwater mate. Glad the pics finally went up.
I have 2 aggressive males too. Literally take hold of one another over who's turfs who's.
I'm not sure why people think they aren't. Males are always going to do the 'whos boss thing and have seen it in the various part species I have.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Nice little blackwater mate. Glad the pics finally went up.
I have 2 aggressive males too. Literally take hold of one another over who's turfs who's.
I'm not sure why people think they aren't. Males are always going to do the 'whos boss thing and have seen it in the various part species I have.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Haha! Mine must be pretty chilled then. Their more interested in showing off to each other than actually nipping. I have a chocco that's a real bully though. He's always chasing the others. He's defiantly the boss of the tank.

Reactions: tim
Oooh I want black water too! But I'm trying to go down to one tank and don't wanna give up on shrimp!

Looks great Iian !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back