• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Too much LED lighting ? Help needed

tubamanandy

Currently using 2 X 36W LED spots 6700K on net 90 litre tank (72x35x50 cm) - full CO2/good substrate/decent circulation/EI dosing/50% water changes weekly.

I'm starting to think I have way too much light and maybe better with 2 x 21W spots as algae is becoming an issue.

Would really appreciate your thoughts on my led lighting levels.

I don't know way we are still so fixed on Watt.... if I use an old light bulb of 100W that would be a lot less than a T5 100w light... shouldn't we measure with Lumen (Lux)?...you would need 35 to 50 Lumen per liter for a planted Tank (some plants closer to 50 and others closer to 35)...this way no matter which kind of light we use, it should always be good. Of course you still need to look at the light color or Kelvin. Which I think most of use will use 6500 and maybe at midday 10 000K.

So what I have appears massive in comparison - would you agree ?
it's impossible to tell without knowing more about which LED lights you are using....so many different kinds on the market....

get yourself a PAR meter to find out for sure
I agree...best way to know which light you have and if it's enough (or not) is by using a PAR meter...maybe you can borrow one from a friend or photographer

Back