• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UV lights at night

idris

Is there any good reason to use / not to use UV lights to illuminate a tank at night so fish can be seen without extending the plants' photo-period?

Blue ligths are supposed to be the equivalent to nigthtime lunar ligth in the ocean, Imitate those periods. :mad:
Since I run a marine aquarium, one also should do what is best for the life in there and not always what is pleasent to me or my wild friends that like to party under brigth ligth until 4.00 am. in an loud enviorement full of pot smoke. :thumbdown:
Think of your fish as your own newborn baby, fresh air no noise no smoke and ligths off after sundown.
They will live long and prosper. :shh:

Fair point, but ...
1) my fish don't drag me out of bed at 4am because Teddy has fallen on the floor or jump on my head at 7am.
2) I've tried to get my daughter to adapt to my life as much as possible, rather than let her think the world revolves around her.
3) I'm allowed to sell my fish when I can't be arsed to keep them alive.

idris said:
Fair point, but ...
1) my fish don't drag me out of bed at 4am because Teddy has fallen on the floor or jump on my head at 7am.
2) I've tried to get my daughter to adapt to my life as much as possible, rather than let her think the world revolves around her.
3) I'm allowed to sell my fish when I can't be arsed to keep them alive.

LOL!!! I have a lot of time for that post haha

Glad you agree with me, fish are better than children. :)
They don't need: Diaper changes,expensive food, medical care, education, computers, phones.
Plus: Fish don't wake you at any time day or night, skip school or run away with the first sex partner you dislike and last but not least, they will never tell you that you just "don't understand" anything about life or what is good for them.
They also come in much nicer colors and you can pick the ones you like and know will get along beforehand and if they get babies before time, you'l be jumping with joy instead of thinking "Where did I go wrong?" :lol:

Now to the business on hand, never turn on "UV" light on your aquarium, you will completly kill everything in there, "Blue" ligth is much better. ;)

luisv113 said:
... never turn on "UV" light on your aquarium, you will completly kill everything in there, "Blue" ligth is much better. ;)
Ah yes, UV sterilisers, hadn't thought of that.

Back