• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wabi Kusa help

Aqua360

Hi all,

Starting my first wabi kusa that I plan to gift to someone. I've got my bowl, and also picked up some white stones in the pic below. Plan is to order a substrate ball and ferts, then use a spare light I have.

Can I ask if the stones below are suitable for the ball to sit on? Or if I should use aquarium buffering soil such as glasgarten?

Thanks

Attachments

• ic-5755.png
    ic-5755.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
Hi Aqua,

I would use compost or old substrate as a base and then use other more natural looking stones ;) Just plant the plants in the substrate no need for a ball.

One photo of an old W-K I have done.

022_zpsa32b93b1.jpg

I have some spare glasgarten there, would that suffice given the low pH and possible ammonia leaching?

Hi Again 123 grow pots and other brands of baby plants in pots.I have had problems with.The Ammonia burns baby plants roots and leaves :(

I get over this by growing on the plants in other substrate. Then I washing off the soil and plant up

Hi Again 123 grow pots and other brands of baby plants in pots.I have had problems with.The Ammonia burns baby plants roots and leaves :(

I get over this by growing on the plants in other substrate. Then I washing off the soil and plant up

I was thinking of getting the 1-2-3 HC pots, so it would work? Hoping to establish it inside of a month if possible; sorry did you say in your last post that you wash the substrate through?

No I grow the baby plants on in another substrate or compost then wash this off before replanting into my W-K. Mind you as its not for tank use you could wash soak the substrate to get rid of some of the ammonia.Or just use old substrate or compost 123 pots grow well in this I have even used cat litter before :D

No I grow the baby plants on in another substrate or compost then wash this off before replanting into my W-K. Mind you as its not for tank use you could wash soak the substrate to get rid of some of the ammonia.Or just use old substrate or compost 123 pots grow well in this I have even used cat litter before :D

Ah I see. I think I'll definitely wash the substrate first, then try it

Back