• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wabi-Kusa Stem-Mix

The_Iceman

Hi UKAPS,

since I started my 60P with my stem plant Wabi-Kusa,
I wanted to repeat the emersed growing of aquatic plants.

Long story short: 2 weeks ago, I made a new Wabi-Kusa with the remaining Moss and some trimmed stem plants from my tank, added some Riccia Fluitans and put it into a plastic box.

Sind then, everything is growing in nicely and I can already recognise some species.

Hopefully it will grow like the ones before.

I made it a little bit bigger, like the original, japanese ones (9 cm) with Sphaghnum Moss, some Akadama and NPK fertilizer in the middle.

At the moment it looks like this:

WK_9cm_zps07a4290a.jpg

aaaand this:

WK_9cm_6cm_zpsdd41da26.jpg

Inside my Wabi-Kusa Box ;)

WK_Box_zpsd7b65bf5.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

*PS: The small one on the right (6,5 cm) is my Glosso-Kusa :lol:

Hi Ice,
""You mean, because of mould? "" Yes mate

To much water makes mine go mouldy :(:( I find the best way is just to keep them damp with mist spraying.

Saying that i have a lump of wood that is half submerged in water with just moss growing on the upper half " Will be adding more plants later.
so far no mould in sight:D:D Although i did soak the wood first for about a month:nailbiting: At that stage some mould did appear this died off " gave it a dose of liquid Co2" :D after a few days gave it a wash then planted up the moss. So far so good :)

Thank you Martin,

as soon as I see any signs of mold, I'll try this! So far the Moos seems to keep it away.
Still spraying every day, as not all of the plants changed to emersed grow, yet.
But I can see some emersed stems already.. :geek:

Growth is not really fast like in the tank, as I don't have any additional light source at the moment. Perhaps a cheap light for the desk will do the trick?!

WK_web_zpsb4a653ff.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris

I use a Led Gu10 7w bulb, cheap and more than enough to grow my emersed setups, mainly moss. A 12 hours photoperiod and some ferts boost their growth. A friend of mine did a special fixture for me but any desk lamp will work.
If you want compact growth you will need more light...

Jordi

Thanks Jordi,

hmm.. perhaps I've to build something on my own.
Have seen a nice how-to for an IKEA desk light, where the original LED gets changed to a CREE high power LED... could be perfect as a WABI-KUSA light.

Chris

Thanks Jordi,

hmm.. perhaps I've to build something on my own.
Have seen a nice how-to for an IKEA desk light, where the original LED gets changed to a CREE high power LED... could be perfect as a WABI-KUSA light.

Chris
Hi again Chris

This is the lamp with the 7w led Gu10 I was mentioning, used in my moss and emersed aquatic plants setup

edb68919edde67941554c1b3f3ed10c9.jpg

And this is another option, a cheap IKEA desk lamp with a 1w led light which is not enough for steady growth, but in my case it works as this moss setup receives quite a lot of indirect light

17513225a7af9e373eba81ad37c87eb1.jpg

Jordi

Thanks Jordi,

I'm back from my trip to IKEA :lol:

Got something nice, could be a little bit stronger though...
Next week, I'll replace the LED inside with something "proper" :lurking:

16361658799_b20678cb07_b.jpg

The shadows look nice :snaphappy:

16521930936_9f9112aecb_c.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

Hehe Roy ;)
Btw: Ordered a CREE XP-G2 R3 and a 700mA constant power source!
This will put the small desk light into overdrive :lol:

Ahoi UKAPS,

operation successful! I more than doubled the light output! :lol:

Hard to tell by just looking at this pic, but it's a raygun now... should have round about 250 Lumen.

15951784594_f2f7298834_z.jpg

16548068086_c733b38585_b.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:
Back