• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What kind of algae is this?

Hi All,

It's been almost five weeks and diatoms in my new setup seem to be gone but now a new guest starts to settle. Water values are good [as far test results are correct]

Lighting period:
- 14:00 intensity from 0% to 100%.
- Then 7 hour of 100% till 21:30.
- Then from 100% to 3% till 22:00.
- And till 00:00 on 3%
- Then 0% till 14:00 next day

Dosing;
- Easylife profito
- Aquarebel NPK
- Easycarbo

For more information and pictures of my setup look at my journal here;
http://ukaps.org/forum/threads/an-iwagumi-called-seiryu-meadow.42269/

F37_v4KXBkY8lJjYYZ8pkAlYpd1F3iajpVGnpI1H-jc7FLnWyWi3FhlDOaY?width=3264&height=2448&cropmode=none.jpg

Can you help me find out which algae it is and how to beat it?

Probably more than 1, looks like still some diatomes and hair algea.. I'm on a different computer and missing all my bookmarks.. I copied one i got from @Tim Harrison and that's is a very complete algae database which i guess lots of use use as reference. I did, but forgot where it is... Maybe Tim sees this and knows which one i mean.. I believe it is from plantedtank.net not sure.

It definitely looks like hair algea, which one is hard to say from such a little picture, some are recognizable by feeling it's texture.. Cladophora has a few of sp. rooming our tanks.

If you realy are into an identification spree, get a pocket microscope 60x and google algae microscope images and compair.. ;) It's fun and not realy expensive. :thumbup:

By diatoms you mean the brown on the window?
That algae database would be nice. After some research i think it is hair algae too.

Today i changed 50% of water and vacuumed most of the algae away. And i put some duckweed in there but i am actually looking for some Limnobium laevigatum or are there better floaters to keep?

. I think the one zozo refers to maybe on James Planted Tanks website,further intereset is a plant defiency site not definitive but useful Deficiency Finder.com for further reference given by a member,Aqua essentials Richard discusses hair algae on his newsletter and blogs,also another sponser Aquasabi have a very good algae tutorial

Back