• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what plants for my tank

Frederick

Hi all.... my tank is a small one ... lighting by 2+ PL11 lamps, the tank is a Aquastart 500 roughly 65 ltrs. Internal filter Aquaone 102F (roughly 450 ltrs/hr). 50% tap water and 50% rain water. EI fertaliser. Lights on for 7/8 hrs per day. So far I have had no luck with plants... slow/no growth but plenty of hair algie.. I have now removed the plants and I would like to start again so my question is what plants do the forum recommend and how many.
Help will be very much appreciated..........Frederick

Without CO2 I think you lighting hours are overkill. Try to reduce lighting levels by using floating plants + having the light on for a lesser period. Algae took over because of poor plant health which is caused by the high lighting, plants won't attack healthy plants be it slow growing or fast growing as long as they're healthy and have suitable lighting according to the amount of CO2 and nutrients available. Carbon grows plants, not light. Plants that should do well providing you lower the lights include things like Anubias, Crypts, Brazilian microswords, pogostemon helferi, java ferns and Bolbitus. I'm sure theres more but thats some for you to have a look.

Back