• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why do plants lose their lower leaves?

master3z

what is the reason for this?

my plants lose their lower leaves or the lower leaves become smaller than the upper ones

also diminished light will have the same effect.

darren636 said:

i have seen very bushy plants,very compact,their lower leaves i dont think receive much light even in a high light tank,.. so how do you explain that?

master3z said:
darren636 said:

i have seen very bushy plants,very compact,their lower leaves i dont think receive much light even in a high light tank,.. so how do you explain that?

I have naked Bacopa stems in a low tech tank. They received plenty of light. It's lack of Co2 that causes the plant to "recycle" itself, in simple terms.

spyder said:
master3z said:
darren636 said:

I have naked Bacopa stems in a low tech tank. They received plenty of light. It's lack of Co2 that causes the plant to "recycle" itself, in simple terms.
eureka!!! That must be the reason that the cabomba in my friends low tech tank ditches its lower foliage when the plant reaches the water surface... i assumed it was because of the very dark conditions nearer substrate level- due to the plants spreading out across the surface.

darren636 said:

This is a misconception, it is co2 related. Just look at Dutch style tanks for examples of why it's untrue.. The bottoms of my rotalla has no perceivable light but don't drop leaves. It's all about co2.

I have found some plants such as star grass to lose its lower leaves when there is less light available such as at the bottom of the tank. Other plants however do not lose their leaves as easily at lower light levels. Although I agree with you all that low co2 can cause leaf loss at lower levels in the tank, this is true with most plants but some which like very direct light such as h.zosterifolia (Stargrass) will melt very quickly if there is hardly any light.

Both CO2/light, and even nutrients.

When the leaf is not worth keeping around because it is not cxontributing much/anything to the whole plant, then the plants will sacrifice it.

Self pruning is another way to look at it.

Takes the old leaves and use them as reserves..........to the new growth on top which is closer to the light and closer to the surface where more CO2 is available.

With CO2 enrichment, plants are able to utilize light more efficiently.
So all the resources can go to gathering light.

So a plant will have a LOWER light compensation point(LCP) than in a non CO2 tank.

But light will still play some role, also, species have vastly differential abilities and tolerances to CO2 concentrations and light intensity.

one thing-well two actually, that UKaps is teaching me are pragmatism and patience. Not easy for me. great info.

I have 2x24W t5 and 2x30W t8 ,height of my aqua is 60cm(from light to gravel)
is this too low light? this happens with my hygrophila polysperma and,lugwidia repens

i will be adding co2 soon to the tank

This could well be too much light if you have no co2 delivery.

Tom explained the "recycling" in more depth.

plantbrain said:
Both CO2/light, and even nutrients.

When the leaf is not worth keeping around because it is not cxontributing much/anything to the whole plant, then the plants will sacrifice it.

Self pruning is another way to look at it.

Takes the old leaves and use them as reserves..........to the new growth on top which is closer to the light and closer to the surface where more CO2 is available.

So back to your case, it could well be high light, low co2 so the plant is recycling tissue to recover carbon to keep up with the high lighting you are using. Stems will bolt for the surface where they can poke out and get atmospheric co2.

At the end of the day, it's just a guess as we don't know the size/volume of your aquarium.

120cm L*40cm W*60cm H

Can it be the substrate as well? I have reduced my photoperiod from 10 to 7 hours per day.

Back