• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will this work?

nickmcmechan

Hi, not been on here for a while!

Thinking about setting up a low maintenance low tech tank and wanted to run it by...

Here's the plans in my head so far

Fluval Edge 46l...know it's not an ideal tank but my wife loves the look and struggling to find an alternate she like that wasn't open topped, open to suggestions, needs to be stylish....

Substrate ADA Aquasoil with power sand, fairly deep

Background hygrophila, probably deformis (sp?), want something thick and bushy
Middle front left Sword
Middle front right tall red wood with Java fern attached to bottom rear, java moss front, anubias upper part
Front and side carpet with crypt wendtii

I don't plan on dosing the water column

In my current setup I use shrimp mineral rocks and almond leaves which appears successful for the shrimp

Livestock to be transferred over from my current setup (fluval edge 23l)

Chilli Rasboras
Cherry Shrimp (loads, too many to count!)
Zebra Nerite
Assassin Snail (along with the trumpet snail residents)
Zebra Otos

Thoughts?

PS the crypts, java moss, java fern and anubias will be transferred over the current setup, as will the filter media, filter etc.

You could also go with any tank you like, such as ADA Garden Cube or TMC Signature range, and buy
ADA Glass Cover for Cube Garden. They come in different sizes and with very minimalistic stainless hooks. And it gives you versatility if you decide that you do not want a covered tank for any reason later on.

Been looking at a Dennerle scapers tank, whole package with light and filter
I have looked at the Dennerle scapers tank too, as it gets positive reviews and would help keeping the cost of setting up my first planted aquarium under control.

Bought the Aquaone Nano 130l....big nano!

Used a combination of aquatic soil, jbl aqua basis and tetra complete covered on top with jbl sansibar black

Back right is various types of hygro with rotala at right hand side

Back left is bacopa

Middle right is redwood with anubias attached

Middle left is bog wood with java fern

Echinodorus Rose x3 in between the bits of wood

Rest is carpeted with various crypts

Light seems high for low light so have ordered frogbit to diffuse

Plan to just leave it and see how it goes just now

Back