• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Probably Crazy Long Distance CO2 Idea

Mike_81

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to planted aquariums as you'll see from my post in the Journals section here.

Here's the situation. Please tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree before I go too far down this road.

I'd like to begin using pressurised CO2 as I've been labouring along with a DIY Yeast set up which is woefully inconsistent. I was warned about this but thought I'd give it a try anyway. :(

Unfortunately I don't really have room for an FE near my tank as the cupboard underneath it has limited space.

(See pic)

8505122154_36e274a100.jpg

However, I do have plenty of space in a small storage shed which is next to the room the tank is in.

8504022719_a2d28c8f42.jpg

My 'crazy' idea is to place a decent sized CO2 cannister in the shed and run a length of CO2 grade pipe from it to the bubble counter and diffuser at the tank end.

I managed to take a poor panoramic picture of the room and have cleverly edited it in Paint to show a very basic route the pipe would take (there are already holes for the whole route).

8504740166_335347af1a.jpg

Would there be enough pressure in the CO2 canister for the gas to reach the tank over that sort of distance?

Does this have any chance of working or should I just look into small i.e. expensive setups which will fit in the under tank cupboard?

Any pointers would be great!

I'd say it would work but there would be a delay before the gas comes out of the diffuser. Much like we get anyway but for a longer period of time. Im sure someone must have tried this and can run in with an experienced answer.

I use co2 to carbonate beer and have used relatively long lengths. I can't see what your suggesting being a problem, just give a blast of co2 at a higher pressure to purge the air from the tubing, otherwise it may take a while for the co2 to arrive at your aquarium.

Hi
As a few have said....cant see why it wont work.
Use 2 decent non-return valves at each end of the long run of Co2 tubing...this will keep the working pressure up.
Then you wouldn't have to wait that long for the Co2 to be dosed into the aquarium.
Cheers
hoggie

I think I read a thread where someone tried this and they found you need to have needle valve and solenoid inline as close to the tank as possible to stop fluctuating bubble counts ill try and find it, nice solution to house a big canister:)
I remember that thread, the needle valve and bubble counter were eventually placed near to the tank to easily see adjustments I think, if they were at the other end then you'd be twoing and froing from the tank to the outhouse to see what was going on in the tank :) I also seem to remember that this was not a great solution and would waste a lot of co2 through losses within the lines.....but not 100% sure about that so don't take my word for it.

Mike....Can you not just cut out your shelf within the cabinet like you did for your filter? I reckon say a 2kg co2 cylinder will fit, ill measure the height of mine when I get home and see how tall it is and let you know. Looks like you could have about 45cm or a bit more total height available?

Cheerio
Ady

Thanks for the input guys, I think this one might have some mileage then. I like the idea of as big a cylinder as I can get away with. I haven't got a big aquarium so it should last yonks.

Mike....Can you not just cut out your shelf within the cabinet like you did for your filter? I reckon say a 2kg co2 cylinder will fit, ill measure the height of mine when I get home and see how tall it is and let you know. Looks like you could have about 45cm or a bit more total height available?

Ady you're right, I think the total height of the cabinet is about 48cm so in theory I could cut another section out of the shelf. I'd just assumed that a 2kg cylinder plus the regulator and other gubbins on top would be too big to fit. If you let me know what the total height of your set up is that would be really useful.

I'll link a site when home if you want to go that route...

Iain, yes please!

Cheers,

Someone somewhere here on UKaps placed a fire extinguisher & regulator and solenoid on one side of his lounge, ran the CO2 tubing along the skirting board to the tank on the other side of the lounge no problem. Need to locate a needle valve, one way valve and bubble counter as close to the tank as possible as its this section beyond the needle valve that takes the time to pressurise when the solenoid switches on.

Someone somewhere here on UKaps placed a fire extinguisher & regulator and solenoid on one side of his lounge, ran the CO2 tubing along the skirting board to the tank on the other side of the lounge no problem. Need to locate a needle valve, one way valve and bubble counter as close to the tank as possible as its this section beyond the needle valve that takes the time to pressurise when the solenoid switches on.
thats the one i was thinking of....pleased to hear it was ok to run longer co2 line :thumbup:

Hi Mike,
just measured my 2kg co2 cylinder and its actually 50cm high :(......darn 2cm!

Can you not cut a hole in the bottom of the cabinet base ?

I'm not sure how the base is constructed but I'll look into it. I still think it would be a fairly tight fit, plus I could get more cylinder in the out-house. ;)

I was wondering how temperature would affect CO2 flow (if at all). Obviously the cylinder would be exposed to a fairly wide range of temperatures outside. Does anyone know if this would disrupt flow or affect the pressure?

I was wondering how temperature would affect CO2 flow (if at all). Obviously the cylinder would be exposed to a fairly wide range of temperatures outside. Does anyone know if this would disrupt flow or affect the pressure?
Will be fine as long as temperature doesn't drop below -80'C in which case pressure will drop to zero and in the 100s of 'C the pressure relief disc will burst.

Hmm think it'll be fine in the extreme climbs of West London then!:)

Reactions: tim
Looking at your setup reminds me of the setup my mate had years ago. He had a marine tank and kept all the filters, pumps, skimmers, sumps etc in a shed next to his house. Makes for a very equipment free tank and easy servicing as was plenty of room in the shed with water supply and sink to wash and clean things. Major issue he had was condensation forming on things when cold.

Have you thought about that putting all the equipment outside ?

Have you thought about that putting all the equipment outside ?

Not planning to put it all outside Ian, just the CO2 Cylinder and reg. Hopefully I'll find a way of getting the rest of it as close to the tank as possible.

I'd have a check valve at either end of the run, 2 inline flow valves and solenoid as close to the tank as possible.

This way when the Co2 shuts off at night the main line would remain pressurised, plus if the solenoid was in the shed it would take an age for the bubbles to stop while the main line drops it's pressure.

I'd keep the pressure in the main line higher, reduce it a bit on the first flow valve and take it down again to the desired rate you want going into the tank with the second.

I would strongly recommend using Pneumatic fittings most are rated to 10 bar which should be far more pressure than you need.

You may still get fluctuations with changing temps tho.

Back