• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

8 minute mini Nano

Alastair

yesterday i was routing through my cupboard finding bits to get plants posted out next week and found some hardscape bits so decided to set up a mini shrimp habitat as quickly as i could as had to move the big tank.
so out came a little 12 litre azoo tank, some mature tmc nutrasoil and a few plants attached to the hardscape, coupled with an ikea led light and thought id not done a bad job for the time scale. 8 minutes from washing out the tank to filling with aged water :woot:
little hang on back filter going on tomorrow morning

10711321236_a327aeed9f_b.jpg
DSC_0017 by Mr-T-, on Flickr
10711302025_6ebdddd698_b.jpg
DSC_0006 by Mr-T-, on Flickr
10711283695_75fba67cf1_b.jpg
DSC_0013 by Mr-T-, on Flickr
10711343514_786aa3c618_b.jpg
DSC_0014 by Mr-T-, on Flickr
10711322154_b108c2cb1a_b.jpg
DSC_0016 by Mr-T-, on Flickr

hopefully ill be able to see a better survival rate of the various shrimp and pop them in when the big tank is grown in a bit more.

I really like your shrimp there beauties:)

Nice!

Sounds like the start if an aquascaping challenge. Best scape in the quickest time :)
Sounds like a good challenge that ha ha.

I really like your shrimp there beauties:)
cheers kirk
Some of them have only just joined the shrimp community today. Really like the golden bee.
Your becoming quite the speedscaper what with this and The Telford tanks you did top job Al :clap:

Yeah mate its just slow scapes im rubbish with...... oh and photos ha ha. I only did a couple at Telford dan n stu did the belters.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

nice little tank there al, just needs another 40 or so shrimp ;) give me a nudge when your ready fella.
thought you would have a bunch of leaf litter in there...?
Thanks iain. Im proud of it given how simple and quick it was. I think its the tank shape that I like. Its got 2 nano kattapa leaves in now and a mulberry leaf .
Ill pm you know pal
Nice little scape mate!
Thanks buddy. I can see the fascination with shrimp only tanks. Much more confident with zero fish around unlike my chocolate box.
The little hang on waterfall filter came today.... its silent as anything and cleared the water to crystal clear in a few minutes :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

That tank makes your shrimp look HUGE! LOL

Isn't finding enough bits and pieces to throw a tank together a joy? I always love it when that happens.

Do you have that bottle of olive oil next to the tank to threaten the (woo, 6 word alliteration!) shrimp with a potential future should they misbehave?

Al, great as always. The shrimp do look cool; Attack of the enormo-shrimp, coming to an aquarium near you!
Phil Edwards, you are a bad man.

Quick stocking level question if I may Alastair? I think I can count over 20 shrimp in your 12 litre tank - how many are there actually? I ask as I'm hopeful of stocking my 8 litre nano soon with orange Sakura and was aiming for around six ... Would I be able to increase this amount to maybe 10? I appreciate there are a lot of factors at play but can't seem to find a stocking level chart/ guide for shrimp! Many thanks, bob

Hi what hang on filter did you get as thinking about doing something similar
Hi ruke sorry for the delayed reply for some reason I didn't get notifications. Its a hidom hang on. Originally I had the smallest model but now have the bigger version but I modified the filter media layout so I could add seachem matrix
Nice old skool looking tank
(i see you have a Lidl too there)
Certainly do mate. I love Lidl.

That tank makes your shrimp look HUGE! LOL

Isn't finding enough bits and pieces to throw a tank together a joy? I always love it when that happens.

Do you have that bottle of olive oil next to the tank to threaten the (woo, 6 word alliteration!) shrimp with a potential future should they misbehave?

Yeah I agree. I enjoyed throwing this together and its so simple to maintain now. Just like feeding a dog. Small water change every 3 days and that's it. They clearly like it as forever see buried females and shrimplets.

Damn yeah ya got me on the oliver. ACTUALLY when im doing a stir fry and feel it needs that little extra, just a finger flick on the tank glass and hey presto they happily leap into the wok.......only joking. Ive moved this tank to the opposite side so it's away from any possible sprays of food during cooking.

Al, great as always. The shrimp do look cool; Attack of the enormo-shrimp, coming to an aquarium near you!
Phil Edwards, you are a bad man.

Thanks bill.
Its going strong and so are all the inhabitants and plants. The tanks only under a 3w led from ikea and its placed a good distance away from the tank yet all the fern, mosses are really healthy and the fissedens is beautiful. I was surprised at that.

I like the tank.... and look at those shrimps they're awesome !! they look happy in there.

Certainly are rob. And greedy too.

Quick stocking level question if I may Alastair? I think I can count over 20 shrimp in your 12 litre tank - how many are there actually? I ask as I'm hopeful of stocking my 8 litre nano soon with orange Sakura and was aiming for around six ... Would I be able to increase this amount to maybe 10? I appreciate there are a lot of factors at play but can't seem to find a stocking level chart/ guide for shrimp! Many thanks, bob

Hi bob,

As long as your filtration is adequate and water changes are regular yeah you could put ten in. They give off relatively little mess and if you feed minimal and just let them graze on leaves etc it should be ok.
If im honest I have no idea how many are in it. More than 20 id say. Up until a few weeks ago there were around 60 ish which I gave away to a few friends. I regularly checked ammonia nitrates etc on this and my other shrimp tank and all was fine.

I remember reading that for a 15 litre tank 20 small shrimp was enough. Cant remember where now though.

Here it is on the other side of the kitchen

emuqe2ab.jpg

Back