• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

35L Noptiwhite

Looking very good,trim those algaed leaves and it'll be immaculate:D
Where's your inlet pointed ?

Thanks for that info Darrel. How do you keep banana worms? I had some type of worms once that you had to keep in soil and then put oats or something on the surface to feed them, but it was a pain in the butt trying to catch them and then clean them.

Banana, Walter and Micro worms are easy to keep and catch. Just use a food container with some holes in the lid, mix some oats/porridge up with a pinch of dried yeast and mix with tepid water to a gloopy consistency. It wants to be a couple of CM's deep. I used 500ml containers, the regular takeaway type thing. You don't need to weigh the oats out or anything, just put them in the container dry to get the right level before mixing.

All you need then is a small culture to start them off. If no one on here can send you some to get you started, you can buy a starter culture on eBay for a couple of quid. I bought all 3 for £5 inc postage from a website. (PM if you want the link)

When they get going they just crawl up the sides of the container (& lid) so it's just a case of wiping a cotton bud along the sides to pick them up and transferring them into the tank. You could just use your finger, but they tend to smell a bit so wouldn't recommend it :D

You can keep the supply going forever by just starting a new container and adding a teaspoon of the culture you already have going. I've had them going for months though just letting them get on with it.

Looking very good,trim those algaed leaves and it'll be immaculate:D
Where's your inlet pointed ?
Cheers Stu. New scissors arrived today, along with a pot of ranunclus for this tank between the monte carlo and the wood.
The filter outlet is pointing straight across the tank, should really have the inlet beside it, but they're at opposite ends. The diffuser is under the filter outlet - tried it under the inlet but got a very gassy and unhappy filter. As it is, it sweeps the co2 across the back and then down the bottom front of the tank which is ideal for the mc.[DOUBLEPOST=1398265284][/DOUBLEPOST]
Banana, Walter and Micro worms are easy to keep and catch. Just use a food container with some holes in the lid, mix some oats/porridge up with a pinch of dried yeast and mix with tepid water to a gloopy consistency. It wants to be a couple of CM's deep. I used 500ml containers, the regular takeaway type thing. You don't need to weigh the oats out or anything, just put them in the container dry to get the right level before mixing.

All you need then is a small culture to start them off. If no one on here can send you some to get you started, you can buy a starter culture on eBay for a couple of quid. I bought all 3 for £5 inc postage from a website. (PM if you want the link)

When they get going they just crawl up the sides of the container (& lid) so it's just a case of wiping a cotton bud along the sides to pick them up and transferring them into the tank. You could just use your finger, but they tend to smell a bit so wouldn't recommend it :D

You can keep the supply going forever by just starting a new container and adding a teaspoon of the culture you already have going. I've had them going for months though just letting them get on with it.

Thanks for that! Really useful info for future reference - cheers! :D

Hi there

Nice scape, like it very much. Very similar to the one i made in Winther 2012

helbild.jpg

more pics from start on the one i made
http://tjockabertha.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/projekt-54-liter-2/

Keep up the good work.!

H.

It is pretty similar yeah! Thanks for the photo :)

I'm just back from holiday where the tank has been running itself for a couple of weeks. The spiro algae has come back a bit so going to water change and remove as much as possible. Will probably do every other day water changes and dose with easycarbo to try and hit it hard. I had cut back lighting while I was away to compensate for no addition of fertilisers but obviously not quite enough. Plants seem to be doing ok apart from the MC carpet having got a little leggy under the reduced lighting.
Waiting for lights on to assess the situation… :)

One more comment on the microworm culture. If you keep the medium on the wet side they will crawl up the side, if you keep the medium slightly dryer and put some unbleached cofee filter on the medium you can brush them of the cofee filter with a soft paint brush too.

Back