• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

Thanks zozo. I want to get it planted now but I'm going to have to wait till after the summer holidays when I can be around long enough to give it the best possible start...that's testing my patience:arghh:

Last edited:
I guess we all know that feeling.. Itching hands.. :) I cant wait either. Btw you have late summer holiday.. Over here its already over half way and holidays ending soon.
Ps.
Oh!? Did misread.. you said after the summer holiday.

I didn't like the smaller rocks so I pushed the layout towards the middle and got rid of them - closing the gap. Then I thought why not try some sand?...not sure about it tho'. I'm also not sure about the position of the rock scape, maybe it could do with moving to the right a bit?
The idea was/is to plant HC Cuba in the Amazonia and the stems already mentioned at the back.
Anyway, I thought I'd put it out there for some constructive criticism...thoughts welcome...
20549868859_a3758244a8_c.jpg

Thanks for your comments guys much appreciated.
And thanks foxfish I think that's a good observation. I may just put Amazonia back in the middle (which means I can take the stone barricades out and let the soil flow from the sides naturally at a lower level to the front), that's how it was before I decided to try the sand, but I forgot to take a photo:banghead:
Alex...a top view for you, and anyone else who cares to comment;)...
20117550074_377f3fbf5b_c.jpg

A retrospective image of the main rocks arranged prior to the Amazonia going in...the finished hardscape is literally the tip of the iceberg.
After a little regigging the other rocks were added to complete the look.
20544562506_1b48e4b4d6_c.jpg

Ouch, somehow I missed that picture without amazonia.
If I were you I'd try to raise those rocks up to the future water surface or even slightly higher.
Not sure it's a good idea right now with sand went in. That would require vacuuming out sand, break everything, emm, not a clever idea.
Wait, it's just your third attempt, at least what you showed us here. Maybe maybe maybe.

Thanks for your comments guys much appreciated.
And thanks foxfish I think that's a good observation. I may just put Amazonia back in the middle (which means I can take the stone barricades out and let the soil flow from the sides naturally at a lower level to the front), that's how it was before I decided to try the sand, but I forgot to take a photo:banghead:
Alex...a top view for you, and anyone else who cares to comment;)...
20117550074_377f3fbf5b_c.jpg

Thank you for this. Not so much room at the back behind the stones. I don't remember what did you plan to plant there. Need to re-read this journal.
The picture above reminds me about waterfall. It needs small artificial waterfall where sand starts. %-)

Beware of scrapers remorse :eek:

first scape doesn't do it because you over thought it. So you escape. Next scape is more natural as you're in the flow. Then because you see the quality leap between scapes, you have another crack and keep tinkering on and on. Then eventually you realise you liked the scape 7 versions ago but can't remember how it goes :banghead:

:D

I decided although I liked the hardscape it wasn't what I was after this time around...so...I changed it...
The plan so far is to have Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' running up the valley with Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' adding the occasional highlight. Utricularia graminifolia flanking the valley amongst the rocks. And predominantly Hemianthus micranthemoides at the back along with Ludwigia sp 'Mini Super Red' adding a splash of colour here and there.
19845993974_b94e4939c0_c.jpg

I think this one setup was nice. :)
It has more depth.
You can improve it , wiht raise the left and right back rocks.
At the last setup i dont like the empty place right and left, the white sand , and the rocks in the center. :)
I think it loose the depth.
Thats is just my opinion, i dont tell you to change.
You can only see the tank.
Do what ever you like.

tend to agree. rocks need to start wide at the front and angle in towards the back to get the depth.

may i confirm the dimensions of this tank? just 60cm? some friends did very very well in iaplc and now i'm inspired/encouraged/forced to get a bigger tank. i like the shallow look. :p

If you go into photography there's the rule of thirds
Which just makes things work and looks so much more pleasing
So maybe try applying it to your scape
I like the sand it reminds me of a valley with a river at the bottom
Plant species would have to be really small fine leaves to keep in scale with the rocks

Thanks for the feedback Dean, I used to be able to count photography as one of my passions (a long time ago) and so I'm aware of the rule of thirds...I think that I'm perhaps a little obsessive about it TBH. That's why I think the scape may need shifting to the right a little. But I also understand that the rules are sometimes made to be broken, that's why I'm asking for opinions;)

Back