• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

A retrospective image of the main rocks arranged prior to the Amazonia going in...the finished hardscape is literally the tip of the iceberg.
After a little regigging the other rocks were added to complete the look.
20544562506_1b48e4b4d6_c.jpg

Some aspects of this make it my favorite (after the Turtle God of course ;) ) - the angles of the "path" & the narrow passage leading into the distance ... but much of this was lost when the soil went down (I think this is the same as above???) so need to elevate the rocks with Styrofoam etc.

Also maybe nudge that line of "peaks" on the right as it looks a bit too linear BUT it may be rather less so in real life.

This seems like a perfect scape & opportunity to do a dry start with the HC - you might also play with adding in strands of eleocharis sp to help

Thanks guys some really useful feedback...pretty much confirming my own opinion, any more would be extremely welcome...

Okay, here goes ;)

To me, the whole point of a shallow tank is that it is easier go bust out thru the top of the tank!

I would take the scape in post #59 and boost the pants out of the rock at the back by 10-12cm. Use styrofoam etc to make pedestals for the rock, highest at the back and reducing in steps as it comes forward. Use some Correx board attached to the back of the rear styrofoam to hold a bank of sand/soil that drops to the front glass. Then in the space behind the bank in a shallower soil bed plant things that will grow up and just break the surface emersed - maybe some amano style Wabi whatsits?

But that's just me :D

Brain fart off :lol:

I'm holding back on constructive idea's because i'm fairly new to the concept modern aquascaping.At the beginning i also thought "Hey Troi goes emersed with a shallow scape!?" I guess thats what shallow tanks are all about, why take a shallow tank if you don't want to go emersed. In the emersed perpective i also prefer scape #59 and totaly with james.. :) But till now i didn't deliver nada to show for, so i just watch and shiver and learn. And see what comes up.. i just know what ever it is i'm gonna like it. :)

Just keep in mind that the more "stuff" in your tank the less water & swimming room for fishes, so keep this in consideration when selecting species :)

(just realized that last post wasn't v clear re the eleocharis & HC, the grass helps "matt" the HC in place & you keep it trimmed to sparse leafs so as not to overpower the HC, Amano did this in some early scapes)

Last edited:
I think for me what's important about a shallow is its aspect ratio, it's typically that of a much larger tank. So the challenge is to create a scaled down version of a bigger scape to maintain that big tank illusion...so for me an emersed element is always that important.

That said I've been thinking about how to make James suggestion work...others have made similar suggestions elsewhere. The image below was done by a very helpful mod on another aquascaping site, he used photoshop to stretch the scape to add height and width, and I quite like what he's done.

The problem I'm struggling with at the moment though is how to make that work in reality without changing the scape drastically...adding height will reduce width and depth coverage of the rocks so I'd be left with much more open space, and then I'd be compelled to add more rocks or leave bigger gaps.

I'm not sure if that'd work...but in the spirit of discovery I'll probably have a go anyway...

If only rocks were actually stretchy...:)
troi%2021.8.15%20_edited-2.jpg

..adding height will reduce width and depth coverage of the rocks...

Sharper, less blunt peaks might help with the width perspective issues maybe? Can't think straight after some home brew Apple wine :couchpotato:

If only rocks were actually stretchy...:)

Lava is stretchy. Just difficult to scape with :lol:

Hmm, thats maybe something for our sponsors to think about. "Bob Ross Rocks"
afro.gif
It would fly like sweet candies over the counter. Happy little accidents..
Could be on to something there...maybe I should try scaping with playdoh or plasticine:D
Sharper, less blunt peaks might help with the width perspective issues maybe? Can't think straight after some home brew Apple wine :couchpotato:
Good suggestion, I've decided to go back to the drawing board...in the meantime I could do with some home brew apple wine myself:)

Could be on to something there...maybe I should try scaping with playdoh or plasticine:D

Well lately i was browsing youtube dont know how i ended up there as so often happens. But there seem to be a rather large community of Artificial Terrascape artists making artificial landscapes for display with little puppets like HeMan and skeleton, knights, fantisy characters you see in video games, something like to put in complete army's of little tin soldiers we used to play with in our youger days. Anyway, to the point, found some tutorials how to create true to nature replica landscapes, rock formations, from resins etc.. And i must say :eek: there are some very talented artits out there creating near real rockscapes with peaks, waterfalls and just name it they make it and pull it off. Its impresive what they can accomplish and how real it looks. That hobby has a name but forgot it.. o_O

I've seen these in my LFS - Okiishi replica rocks from Unipac...must admit they look very realistic.
They have obvious benefits, including less demand on finite natural resources (that is if you don't count the energy and materials needed for manufacturing and transport etc.:bored:).
George did a feature in PFK some time ago http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4607

Hows the plan coming along? :peeking:

Hi James thanks for asking...I've emptied the tank for a reset. I'm still thinking what to do, which is OK since I'm not in a position to set it up just yet anyway; I can't dedicate the time needed to give it a good start until the holidays are over.
Meanwhile, my desktop is filling up with images of inspirational scapes downloaded from the internet.
Hopefully, it should be up and running in a couple of weeks or so:)

Ah the joys of the planning stage. Where fantasy, dreams and inspiration show us anything is possible......:happy:

Back