• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

Getting your hands on that would be awesome, especially since it's extinct in the wild. Definitely keep me posted.

It's an amazing conservation story - from the brink of total extinction to the possibility of becoming a common house plant.
Thanks goodness for Fischer and Carlos Magdalena and Bonn and Kew botanical gardens.

Just looked at the wood and there are a couple of small but deep pockets with the potential for retaining substrate...after a little modification:D

I'll sure keep you posted, i'm still in communication with the lily nursery, they advertise the it without it's scientific name.. Not yet recieved an answer.
They say it's the smallest in the world from afrika, so i actualy can only be this one.. Doesn't come cheap tho.. So i want to be sure and like to know what i'm paying for.. :)

Just a couple of quick phone camera shots...
All plumbed and wired in ready for action.
And the top of the DW, small pocket to left. The other one is further down the middle back out of shot.
26435612806_214edaea76_c.jpgI
25858709853_1a557d38f6_c.jpg

Thanks Iain...I've already chosen 3 rocks that'll sit on top until it starts to behave itself.
How about all red plants with green mosses on the wood :)
Wow that'd be different and slightly psychedelic...but undeniably cool;)
Did you have any recommendations?

Sorry Tim it's not the Thermarum, so it's also not the smallest of the world.. Didn't yet got an answer from the nursery, but found an other sale offer from same seller advertising same pictures and text, but this time with a name. It's a cultivar name Nymphaea africanus min. alba.. Probably the smallest in the trade, but not smallest in the world. On ebay she tries to sell it as "Smallest of the world" Hoax?? Most likely a self invented cultivar name because i can't find this name nowhere else i keep ending up at this seller only. But still a pretty small one.. For the Thermarum we probably have to wait a few years more before it is sold as houseplant.. Thought it was this one, because it was already brought to Germany in 1987, would have been enough time to cultivate it, but no one probably did yet. Darn.. :bored:

But Thermarum is eledged not the smallest.
http://sfblog.seerosenforum.de/post/2011/06/19/Tropische-Zwergseerosen-(Teil-7).aspx

Last edited:
That's OK, at least we can live in hope thanks to the sterling work of a handful of dedicated botanists and horticulturist. I can wait;)
And like you say in the meantime there are plenty of great plants out there already just waiting to be gown and appreciated:)

P.S. thanks for the links.

Pretty much decided on the plant list today.
Taking another look at the scape there are quite few spots in heavy shade, meaning I have to either buy another light and rail to hang them both on...£££:eek:...or be a bit clever with my planting...well try to be at least:rolleyes:

Staurogyne repens - front left
Eleocharis acicularis mini - rear near stump/rocks
Rotala bonsai - focal point left of centre midish ground against stump/rock
Hemianthus callitichoides cuba - pretty much everywhere else
Pogostemon Erectus - for flowers behind stump
Rotala rotundifolia - dito
Heteranthera zosterifolia -dito
Utricualtria graminfolia - 'cause I've never tried to grow it before and it looks ace
Riccardia chamedryfolia - a favourate plant, will find space for it no matter what
Taxiphyllum barbieri - looks great emersed, a bit unruly submersed.
Vesicularia dubyana - tied to branches and rocks
Fissidens fontanus - dito, maybe

And what is more, I've actually found somewhere I can get all of them in one go...for the first time ever...one of our sponsors:)

Hi ryan, thanks, it's a start. We'll see how it does, and I've got all those lovely emersed growth plants to think about for the top of the DW as well; but that's for another day;)

With the above front tank shot, your hardware resambles a Picasso's Fauno, Centauro, Minotauro creation. :) Once seen it's exposition about 20 years ago in M. Reina Sofía - Madrid.. :) Can't help thinking of it when looking at that pic.. Lets plant it! Olé!... :)

One of our plant sponsors o_Ois teasing us lately with new irresistible,new varieties and species some easy grow Reds underwater etc think I will succumb :nailbiting:if this carries on and funds are available for a project .Love your plant list just trying to check on the common names

One of our plant sponsors o_Ois teasing us lately with new irresistible,new varieties and species some easy grow Reds underwater etc think I will succumb :nailbiting:if this carries on and funds are available for a project .Love your plant list just trying to check on the common names
Thanks PARAGUAY, I doubt I'll be able to resist the temptation either;)

Anyway...the plants arrived a few days ago...early actually and caught me out a little, so they had to stay in their packaging for a day...but all planted now. Thanks to Aqua Essentials, nice plants.
I think I over ordered on a few especially the HC Cuba. And I only needed a bit of Utricualtria graminfolia and Rotala bonsaibut but they only came in the largish 1 2 Grow containers, so I've some left over which I'll grow on emersed, Wabi Kusa style.
25993820833_af552a8a11_c.jpg

I've had a few set up issues:rolleyes:...it's a bit cloudy in there at the moment...

The new glassware is smaller, but it has a wider bore than I'm used to (go figure) so it's taken me a while to position the out flow to reduce the force of the flow, which has rescaped the substrate:meh:

That and, argh...my HC Cuba has no roots, is covered in O2 bubbles and is therefore unanchored and floaty light and keeps being blown to the surface...made the rookie mistake of planting it in too bigger portions...yet again:arghh:

I'll try ANother 100% water change and add a pic soon:D

Back