• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving a planted Tank

That was painful... For all parties involved.
And only half way there. I've had to drop the tank at my parents as we can't move into for another week.

I lost a few ember tetras that hid in the plants . Then didn't survive being washed about. Shrimps all seem happy.
Some of the plants have been up rooted but I'm sure with some tlc they should be fine.

:eek: On the interrupted move
(not sure I should ask why)

That “wash” effect happens in buckets as well - which is why fish are always recommended to be moved in suitable bags (1/3 water, 2/3 air - unless breathable bag)

Hope Part 2 goes better

Hope Part 2 goes better

So do I, it's a shorter distance and hopefully also a bit less rushed. But we will see.

:eek: On the interrupted move
(not sure I should ask why)

The house we were meant to be moving into fell through and we haven't had time to sort all the paperwork out, everything has gone into storage and currently in a b&b. I'm not sure I can think of a way to make it more painful.

Hi All
Just looking for some tips and tricks when moving a fish tank (picture below was taken a few months ago before everything grew)

I'm moving house next week and really not looking forward to moving my tank.
It's 120 x 50 x 60cm and made in braceless 12mm / 10mm glass

I was hoping to be able to move it but it's all looking pretty heavy

Tank only - 64kg
Gravel - 20kg
10cm water (120x 50x10 / 1000) = 60kg
seiryu stone / spider wood = 10kg

Total = 155kg

It's weighing in about the same as a piano, without the advantage of wheels.
Guessing I need at least 3 strong friends.

I've bought a garden sprayer and plan was to give all the plants a good spray every 20 minutes, drive will be about 2 hours. I'm hoping that in a warm car everything will be okay.

Just wishing that I had glued all the hardscape in place Affordable Movers Near Me.

How do people move big exhibition tanks? Guessing there aren't any companies in yellow pages with bespoke lifting equipment..

View attachment 119006
Hi .
What I know about planted tanks is next to nothing so this may be a stupid question but here we go anyway. . .
After seeing all the awsome pics of people's planted tanks I want to have a go at it and am going to change my 100lt tank to a planted tank. However, I am going to be moving house towards the middle of the year and was wondering how the plants would react to the move (uprooting and replanting). Would it be advisable to wait until I've moved until I start the tank or would it be ok to uproot and replant already established plants?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi .
What I know about planted tanks is next to nothing so this may be a stupid question but here we go anyway. . .
After seeing all the awsome pics of people's planted tanks I want to have a go at it and am going to change my 100lt tank to a planted tank. However, I am going to be moving house towards the middle of the year and was wondering how the plants would react to the move (uprooting and replanting). Would it be advisable to wait until I've moved until I start the tank or would it be ok to uproot and replant already established plants?
Thanks
The answer is probably dependent on the plants you choose but in general, as long as you’re careful, you shouldn’t have problems. I uproot some of my larger plants for maintenance and then replant them. The roots in my tank are only really there to anchor the plant as I water column dose fertiliser and the nutrients is mostly taken up by foliar feeding. As they’re just in sand, it’s easy to lift them and replant them.

If you’re moving far, you can take all the plants out, put them in a tub with some tank water and they’ll be fine for a few days. People regularly send plants through the post like this. I send most of mine in just a sealed plastic bag so the plant stays damp and so far haven’t had and problems.

Between now and the middle of the year, you probably aren’t going to see huge amounts of growth and establishment unless you’re going high tech. I would avoid adding fish until you’re settled in your new home though.

Back