• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Puffer 70L Tank

Don't think there would be to much benefit of the dry start method in this tank as Im going with a minimal plant layout so will plant it up and fill straight up. Thanks, Im going to start off with some puffers as I have always wanted to keep them since I first saw them, found myself watching them for about half an hour in the shop I have also wanted to do a hardscape dominated neat jungle low-tech type layout as well and decided it would be perfect for them. After a while I may move the puffers and add a small shoal or something. What fish would you put in there?

Honestly I would fill it with some CPD's maybe a few chocolate gourami and a few pretty dwarf Apisto's perhaps. Minus the Apistos I would add shrimp, some nice blue pearls or Blue Rilli's would be quite impressive.

WabiKasuH20Fall said:
Don't think there would be to much benefit of the dry start method in this tank as Im going with a minimal plant layout so will plant it up and fill straight up. Thanks, Im going to start off with some puffers as I have always wanted to keep them since I first saw them, found myself watching them for about half an hour in the shop I have also wanted to do a hardscape dominated neat jungle low-tech type layout as well and decided it would be perfect for them. After a while I may move the puffers and add a small shoal or something. What fish would you put in there?

Honestly I would fill it with some CPD's maybe a few chocolate gourami and a few pretty dwarf Apisto's perhaps. Minus the Apistos I would add shrimp, some nice blue pearls or Blue Rilli's would be quite impressive.

I have read puffers dont fair well with other fish, you may get away with oto's and maybe some corries, as there is a good chance that wont comepete for food at the top level of the tank. Puffers are slow movers and feeders. Add snails and at least there is a food source for the puffers that isnt touched by others.

mikeappleby said:
You're not tempted by bigger south American freshwater puffers?

No not at all. I like creating the illusion of space and something bigger within a tank and the smaller puffers will create this amongst that hardscape nicely. I only really like the dwarf ones, generally prefer smaller fish to larger ones, find them more interesting and nice to watch, especially in this sized tank.

WabiKasuH20Fall said:

Dwarf Apisto's are quite nice. I like to go with one species of fish generally to create a uniform shoal. I might add some shrimp at some point, they could look good, especially blue ones as you say.

sr20det said:
I have read puffers dont fair well with other fish, you may get away with oto's and maybe some corries, as there is a good chance that wont comepete for food at the top level of the tank. Puffers are slow movers and feeders. Add snails and at least there is a food source for the puffers that isnt touched by others.

Your right they don't, they should be kept in a single species tank but can live alongside otto's as well. I wasn't asking for suggestions of what fish to put with the puffers, just asking what fish 'WabiKasuH20Fal' would put in the tank as he commented that the hardscape layout is almost to good for puffers. :eek: Plus I may move the puffers into a different tank after a while and add some different fish in there, I was intrigued.

Nah stay with puffers, it's a really nice scape and will look cool with loads of mini puffers buzzing round.

Shrimps would probably not appreciate being housed with them though. I've seen many dealer tanks full of pygmy puffers, and all the tankmates had beak shaped holes in their fins, despite their tiny size. I would be tempted by South American Puffers though, I love these. But as you said before you'll lose the sense of scale you want to achieve.

Cheers
Dan

Sorry to butt in, I'm new, but I keep a pair of dwarf puffers in a 54ltr tank with amano shrimp with no problems. The puffers have been in breeding mode and still not bothered with the amanos which graze happily out in the open most of the time. They even shed out in the open and will get in on the feeding frenzy as they love blood worms. I do keep the puffers well fed tho ;)

Back