• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Wool

Is there any difference between the little bags of filter wool they sell in the LFS for a couple of quid or Polyester wadding they sell as stuffing for cushions etc at 1/50 of the price? Anyone care to recommend a really good "filter wool" source?

Yep, exactly the same as the mats they sell for pond filters, £5

Apologies if this has been asked before but do people also Diy the fine and coarse foam pads in filters.
Need some and the filter specific pads cost a lot.
Any recomendations?

jetsfan said:
Apologies if this has been asked before but do people also Diy the fine and coarse foam pads in filters.
Need some and the filter specific pads cost a lot.
Any recomendations?

Can't remember who posted this but have bought some from here hope that helps.

Hi all,
Yes, it is a no-brainer. You can buy foam blocks and sheets in all pore sizes from Koi places, and just cut them to size.
I like the 12" x 4" x 4" PPI10 drilled foam blocks, and the 3 packs of 17" x 11" (425 x 280 x 20mm) coarse, medium and fine (PPI10, 20, 30) dimpled foam sheet.

The larger sheet are usually cheaper per unit area, and I got my last set from here: <http://www.pumpsandspares.com/other-items/miscfoamsbrushes.php>

cheers Darrel

Oh and if you need to cut holes in the foam (for pipes or to cover filter inlet pipes), put the foam piece in some water in a container in a freezer and drill/hole cut the frozen block.

You end up with quite nice clean cuts this way.

ian_m said:
Oh and if you need to cut holes in the foam (for pipes or to cover filter inlet pipes), put the foam piece in some water in a container in a freezer and drill/hole cut the frozen block.

You end up with quite nice clean cuts this way.

That's a bit clever! :D

Wouldn't have thought of putting it in the freezer!
Great idea.Thanks for the replies

Back