• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

canester filter working duration in 24 hrs

thanks arana,easerthegeezer,nat n .if the filter stops due to power failure how many hrs de- nitrifying bacteria could manage to be alive?

if the filter stops due to power failure how many hrs de- nitrifying bacteria could manage to be alive?
Bit confusing this my friend! Did your filter stop once because of power failure and now the problem is sorted or is this doing it all the time? Like the other people mention once a supply of oxygenated water stops going through the filter the bacteria will start dying off. Not sure in what numbers or the timescale involved but either way it's not good.
Not sure why you switched the lights off or did they go off in the power failure as well? If it's just the filter going off then leaving the lights on for the same time as you usually did will help as this will create some oxygen in the tank. You will also need to do some water changes with water that had been brought to the right temp if you can. Depending how long the filter has been off for is probably also worth your while disconnecting it from the system and giving it a clean before switching it back on to stop the dead bacteria etc getting pumped back into the tank.

Why is the power going off though!

We had a power "failure" for over 48hours at Xmas from evening of 27th Dec to 29th Dec, whilst we were away. Apparently, according to neighbour, there were numerous power on/off events all evening of 27th one of which tripped my house RCD. Luckily fridge and freezer are on their own non RCD circuit so no food lost, but my 180l tank was unlit and unfiltered for 24hours. Got back on evening of 29th, no Xmas lights outside house on and burglar alarm going off (flat battery in control panel, actually on checking, the alarm had gone off only 6 minutes before we arrived so control panel battery lasts 48hours odd !!!). Reset RCD, turned off alarm and all OK in house and outside Xmas light flashing.

Fish tank was slightly cloudy (maybe) and at 18°C, turned off CO2 and lights and put air on. All back to normal in the morning all plants & fish alive and well.

Back