• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

why am i using so much?

plantnoob

over the last couple of weeks ive been increasing my co2 until i got it to the point where i was winning the hair algae / plant melt battle. it looks like ive got there now , as algae is all but gone and plants are doing much better .

part of me is thinking just be happy that algae is beaten , plants are growing and not melting any more , but then the part of me thats never happy is saying you shouldnt be getting through that much gas :what:

now i have come to learn that bps is pretty much as relevant as wpg , but mine is too fast to count . i reckon my needle valve is not far from fully open . surely that cant be right for a 125L tank ? things ive checked/eliminated so far are , surface agitation , very little there , poor distribution , sorted with full length spraybar , plus plants would indicate if i had an issue there . leaks , sprayed every joint with soapy sollution , no bubbles , so i dont think im losing gas there . only thing i havent leak tested is the actual reg itself . not sure how to do it without spritzing the solenoid

should i be able to get gas more efficient , or should i just stop trying to over think things and be grateful that my tank seems to be settling down ?

I calculated it for 4 high light, fully planted tanks. Two with inline (100% dissolving) diffusors and two with ADA type. Lights and CO2 on for 10-12 hours. With inline diffusor I use 5-10 gram a day per 100 liter. With ceramic diffusors 8-18 gram per 100L per day. Off course many factors are involved, open top, aeration at night etc. How much do you use?

How is your drop checker looking? Maybe look to decrease you light to get a handle on the algae, if you drop checker is already lime green. Anyhow, I am going through more CO2 than I'd like to as well. I am taking a few steps to reduce my requirements.

1. Decrease agitation (which you said you are good on that)
2. Improve your diffusion method (upgrade to inline diffuser if you haven't already)
3. Maybe try a cover on your tank?
4. I read from Clive's post that CO2 is more soluble in lower temperature water so maybe cooler water won’t gas off as fast? Not sure on that one.

Not real breakthrough info there, but maybe you got something out of it.

-Alex

4. I read from Clive's post that CO2 is more soluble in lower temperature water so maybe cooler water won’t gas off as fast? Not sure on that one.
solubility-co2-water.png

tank is covered , temp is 24 degrees C , diffusion method is external reactor . 2kg fire extinguisher has been running around 2 months . gauge has been at 50 for ages . yesterday it was reading halfway between 50 and empty , today its saying almost empty !!! must be a problem somewhere

I had a leak in my CO2 system. Dunked bubble counter + one way valve in big jug of water....no leaks but bubble rate did increase significantly ????

I slightly bent the CO2 pipe on output of bubble counter and bubble rate returned to 1-2bps BUT stream of bubbles issued forth from the bubble counter outlet lock nut ......duh....so thats where all my CO2 that notmally lasts at least 4 months went in 2 months.

Remade all the CO2 joints with LSX thread sealer and now CO2 is going down at about 10-12gr per day, thus 2Kg FE heading for 5 months use :)

i will do that with my bubble counter . im guessing the easiest way is to just dunk the whole thing in a glass of water whilst the co2 is running ? . on a brighter note though i have found a fire extinguisher place locally that will exchange my empty 1 for a full 1 for a tenner . so i now have a nice full 1 on . and at that price im not going to over obsess about how long it lasts , as long as my plants are thriving :)

edit : just dunked bubble counter and check valve . no bubbles .

Bum te bum te bum.....spoke too soon about sorting my leak....noticed falling tank pressure on my new FE, the one in my June 24th post, only a month old. Also increase in BBA despite constant bubble rate.

I found this on my JBL Proflora CO2 bubble counter.
vnwqSy4.jpg

JBL are sending me a replacement.

And dropped glass drop checking in sink whilst cleaning, now a drop checker "kit".....not a good CO2 week. At least I have another plastic drop checker.

So running now with no bubble counter. At least with an in-line diffuser you can see mist of bubbles to know something is working and a yellow drop checker telling you it is too high :eek:

You could just use a diy bubble counter, 2 holes on lid of plastic bottle which are smaller then the tube which causes a snug fit. one tube to the bottom and the other at the top of the bottle.

5 minutes work, for an temporary, easy replacement :)

Bum te bum te bum.....spoke too soon about sorting my leak....not again......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhh

Got 3 replacement JBL Proflora CO2 bubbles counters courtesy of JBL Germany, so worth complaining if things break :)

Connected all up last night and found yet another slight CO2 leak from seam on UP/EasyAqua Double Check valve.:bawling:

With careful use of hacksaw I managed to cut the seal and unscrew the check valve apart. I initially also suspected that any rubber inside would be melted due to CO2 absorption. However, inside is a spring and hard silicone valve disc, so suitable for CO2. Screwed back together with ample LSX thread sealer on thread and no sign of leak this morning !!!

Back