• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mold in micronutrients

Jake101

Hi,

I just added 3 millilitres self-made micro solution. After adding it to my tank, I noticed that there is some mold in the bottle. I made the solution with a new clean bottle with distilled water and kept it in dark, but something got there nevertheless.

My question is about the possible harm to the aquarium. Even if there was no visible mold in the dosage I added, there naturally can be some spores. Is there a significant risk existing that those spores can do some serious harm in my tank?

The tank should be fine, Hoover I'd suggest that in future you follow the instructions below regarding preserving the solution. By the way Ascorbic acid is just another name for vitamin C powder.

Trace Mix Solution
10g Chelated Trace Element Mix (TNC Trace, CSM+B)
250 ml Water
0.5 ml Normal Hydrochloric Acid

nb. It is preferable to make up the solutions in RO water or deionised water, but tap water can be used if need be. The hydrochloric acid is added to help preserve the solution and isn't absolutely necessary if you don't have it, alternatively you may wish to substitute this with 0.25g E300 Ascorbic Acid.

Back