• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Afternoon all, well over due an update on this one... As usual night as well get the story telling done while I'm being paid but pictures will have to wait until tomorrow, got a night free and plan to sort out some movie footage.

The tank is going ok but still got issues with certain areas not getting the flow needed so yesterday resorted to 2 hydor 900 powerheads. Along with that I increased co2 and boosted the lighting up. It was probably a fools decision and I can hear Clive groaning but it worked out ok. Came home last night to a pearling tank, happy fish and healthier looking plants.

I added 3 pots of elantine hydropiper last week which promptly melted aside a few bits which was more proof of the lack of flow at substrate level. Awesome little plant and I hope what's left struggles through so I can propagate it a little.

Also added 6 more amanos and some more ottos, no stock of SAE around my way so they will have to wait.
GSA is still out of control, K levels are through the roof and 2 twinstars recruited yet it keeps on coming back, covering the rocks. Really not seeing any benefit to the twinstars as of yet even directly around them. Maybe the poor flow was part of the reason so will give them another few weeks then eBay will be calling.

As you know I ve been considering a red(ish) bottom dwelling fish to add some interest to the lower levels. Went through as many as I could think of ruling them out for different reasons... Too much flow, too difficult to feed, get too big, too aggressive etc... And ended up back at apisto's. Sadly I dont actually like them and although the tank is already a bit of a mix I really wanted something Asian.

Anyway I got frustrated and made a impulse purchase of apisto. hongsloi pair. They are happy enough but I'd be lying if I said I was in love.... Pretty enough but doesn't float my boat... (Google image)
ujasaneg.jpg

Hey ho, I'll get some movie done tomorrow and you can judge for your self...

Cheerio.

Last edited:
how can you not love an apisto? Look forward to a video....

Thanks Alexander, I usually think flow is far harder to get right than co2 but people shoot the messenger when they see co2 issues.

Just a bit too razzle dazzle for me Ady, love the praecox but a part of me thinks the same about them.
Call me boring but I quite like drab fish... To me they look more natural and blend with the scape...?

Hi all,
Just a bit too razzle dazzle for me Ady, love the praecox but a part of me thinks the same about them.Call me boring but I quite like drab fish... To me they look more natural and blend with the scape...?
I like "tabby" fish as well, but Apistogramma hongsloi is a nice fish. If your water is soft you could look out for Apistogramma iniridae, they are quite commonly available (I think they are a by-catch) and don't have much colour (but the males have "sail fins").

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Fantastic. I've been pretty absent of the forum of late but I quick read through your thread has reminded me why I spend so much time here! The trials and tribulation of aquascaping is quite riviting almost feeling like I want to go back high tech again

Looks great to me Iian and will be finding time to check up on it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The last apisto shot made me think you've purchased it because the shape of its body resemble the shape of praecox's body.

Another superb scape Iain, maturing nicely, twinstar doesn't seem to have done much to keep your rocks clean, you think they are a worthwhile addition to the tank ?

Not the slightest difference at all, I have turned them off to see if it got worse and the answer is no.
So now I just need to go old school, extra maintenance and sort the balance out...

How are you finding your rainbows with co2 mine start to struggle first out of all my fish?

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk
They have been fine, least effected of those in the tank. I've been keeping it quite low though...

Back