• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60P - The Shimmering of Light

Just out of curiosity. Why a second ADA light? I previously read you were happy with Chihiro Aquasky and I've seen that you built an awesome LED light yourself! :)
Yep, don't mean you don't know what you're doing but have a look to the PAR measurements of ADA AquaSky 601... (http://www.prirodni-akvarium.cz/index.php?id=mereni) (use google translator, it is worth it).... And then multiply x2! You have probably 250 micromol PAR at the substrate and more than 350 at the water level. This is not high light, it is super high light mega photon bombing :)

Look also at the clip, this tank is not working even with one AquaSky 601 unit but with the Solar unit and it seems that quite above the tank (lower PAR for sure).

Not saying that it is impossible. Just have a look at Viktor Lantos Flickr and see what a master can do with a 60p and an AquaSky 602 but I guess it is not easy at all.

Anyway, awesome setup and looking forward to seeing its progress.

Jordi

I sold the Chihiro quite early as I thought that I don't really need the extra light...
Last week I had the chance to get a used 601 unit ... So it was an easy choice!

After 2 days with the extra light, I see massive pearling after 30 minutes light on and the plants finally turn red!

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

Thanks Jordi,

I just like to try new things :)
Everyone told me to be careful and that it's almost impossible to run a 602 or 2x 601 units... But this is what's driving me...Trying things which people are afraid of.

Made some small layout changes today + small trimming here and there, Roy ;)

Bad quality mobile picture incoming:

Tag31-2-161114_zpse05f0639.jpg

Not 100% happy with the Anubias on left side, could be a little bit too much!

As I don't have a YouTube Account, I uploaded a small video here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yjb2dgqaimx1eq/Shimmering of Light - Day 31.mp4?dl=0

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:
I sold the Chihiro quite early as I thought that I don't really need the extra light...
Last week I had the chance to get a used 601 unit ... So it was an easy choice!

After 2 days with the extra light, I see massive pearling after 30 minutes light on and the plants finally turn red!

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
That makes sense. I thought it was weird you would spend full retail price on a brand new light with a chihiro just lying around :p

I'm definitely following this to see what happens in this giga PAR raygun setup

Hi guys,

small update from the "giga PAR raygun" ;)
Both lights are running now 8 hours a day and I changed the amount of fertilizers (upped Nitrates and Phosphates slightly) with a stunning effect after 2 days:

IMG_0888_zpsd16b6403.jpg

IMG_0896_zpsa8f9d2cb.jpg

Ipad pics... so sorry for the quality.

A little bit of green algae on the sand, but can easily be removed during the water change, apart from that, everything's running smooth..

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Andrew,

I mix the RO water with the same amount of tap water (50:50).
I'm not adding additional minerals.

The only thing I do, is to check Nitrates, Phosphates and Potassium and add the proper amount of fertilizers after the water change.
I'm trying to keep them stable over the week. (5mg/L /0,5 mg/L / 5 mg/L), which seems to do the trick.

Oh, thanks. From latest InterZoo I know that's quite new test. We don't have it here yet for sale. I'd like to check it when it will be available here in my country.

My pleasure, Alexander!

Just out of interest, I took my seneye out today to measure the PAR readings under both lights...
Holy crap... if the measurement is accurate it states:

6200-6500 Kelvin - Color temperature (depends a Little bit on how I hold the seneye).
Between 350 and 450 PAR direktly under the lights on the water surface.
Between 250 and 300 PAR in the middle of the tank under both lights.

602_zps680ad922.jpg

Sorry for the german...

Just FYI ;)
I can agree... The 602 or two 601 units are a Photon-Bomb!

The only areas where I can see some build up of algae is on the stones in the front... nothing serious.

38_web_zpse2e1d92a.jpg

100_2402_zpsff7f2774.jpg

100_2401_zpse6ac5c3b.jpg

Bright... even during daylight:

100_2374_zps260c622d.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Me too using RO water but following James guide to re-mineralise it, Love the pearling in your tank and nice shots there , in my tank it pearls like yours when i use 6500k light whenever i change to 12000k it pearls less, one more thing planning to do a wabi kusa setup got inspired from your work actually:) waiting for my sphagnum moss to come, but the pictures which you posted i see you just put the plant on top of the wabi kusa ball and tied up so no need to plant into the wabi kusa?

Thank you Sacha :)

@Andrew: The only thing I add, is some MgSO4·7 H2O to add more Mg to the water... but thanks for the link, I'll look into it :thumbup:

It heavily depends on the plants you are going to use! I only used stem plants, which can just tied up on top without the need of actually "planting" it.
Same can be done with HCC.

Cheers,
Chris

Good evening UKAPS,

I'm really thinking about limiting the light output a little bit...
I don't have any algae issue, that's not the problem.
But the amount of CO2 and ferts I have to put into this tank is tremendous!

Plus... growth is insane!

41_web_zps94992ba9.jpg

Holy Cow! That is one hell of a lot of growth!

From Alex - Internet names may vary. Comment not fit for human consumption. Contains small parts.

It seems that should be a good light if you want to grow plants for sale :)
But what's going on with middle part behind the wood? As I remember there is some hair grass? Is it ok?

Back