• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning a 36" T8 Fluorescent tube (Arcadia Freshwater)

Adam78

Seedling
Just wondering how people clean their fluorescent tubes when it get's that hard white mineral deposit on them.

Was thinking maybe vinegar, Isopropyl alcohol or barkeeper's friend would do the trick?

Nice one, that's what I'll do then.

Thanks daize

Or tape up ends with insulation tape apply descaler or vinegar and wipe/scrape with a cloth over the sink. Dry and remove tape...job done. Only issue with vinegar is the smell and watering eyes...

Use appliance descaler for things like coffee makers works well and no vinegar stink.

I use Viakal, seems to work on the lamps etc, though sadly not on my tank glass which seems to have been permanently etched with limescale marks by the previous owner.

Anyway, as Ian_M says, do it away from the tank though and dry off any residue afterwards and you'll be reet. :)

though sadly not on my tank glass which seems to have been permanently etched with limescale marks by the previous owner
This is often calcium sulphate deposits so is not removed by normal descalers. What I have had success with, on my shower screen is Brasso, being an ultra fine abrasive, does work after much much elbow grease (or polishing pad on a drill). Brasso is not compatible with aquatic life, so must be done on an empty tank.

Some people report excellent results on stubborn scale using glass polishing kits, for example from link below.
http://www.glasspolishshop.com/index.php?route=common/home

Anything with a liquid polish has to be done on an empty tank. However if using a dry power polishes eg jewellers rouge, cerium oxide etc can be done in a live tank, by lowering water level and covering surface with cling film and kitchen towel.

Great tips, thank you both.

It wasn't that bad actually when I got the tube out of the tank, white vinegar worked well. Will get some descaler for the future.

Also ordered an Osram 865 tube from Lamp Specs to see how it compares to the Arcadia Freshwater.

This is often calcium sulphate deposits so is not removed by normal descalers. What I have had success with, on my shower screen is Brasso, being an ultra fine abrasive, does work after much much elbow grease (or polishing pad on a drill). Brasso is not compatible with aquatic life, so must be done on an empty tank.

I think I remember seeing one of those environmental hazard signs with a picture of a dead fish on my tin of brasso - I don't think I'd trust the stuff anywhere near a fish tank, empty or otherwise!

Back