• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10x tank volume

David2016

Seedling
Hello, I hope someone can help.
I'm reading about the filtration rate of 10x tank volume. My new tank is 470lt so I'm looking at a fellow rate of about 4000 lph.
It's tropical freshwater.+ Co2,
Which set of filters would anyone recommend. I have a Eheim pro 4 600 which is allegedly 1200lph,and another Eheim which is about 900lph
Have I misunderstood the 10x rate?
At 4000lph I could keep tuna fish swimming
Any thoughts would be great fully received.

Ah the 10x guideline is for the maunfacturers quoted filter flow rate which you never actually get in the real world but yes even so your 900 and 1200 ltr filters are theoretically under powered by this rule. On big tanks like yours I think you're better off adding flow with powerheads rather than going for monster filters. Your two filters should have plenty enough capacity to do the job of filtration but maybe a bit weak for ensuring you have good circulation around all areas of the tank. Even so I've run a 400ltr tank quite happily without adhering to the 10x rule so you make your choice...

Ok that makes sence, the power heads would keep the circulation going in the nooks and crannys.
Maybe power them through a timer so when co2 is off at night, the fish can have a rest.
You have certainly got some very nice tanks. I do like the heavy planted look. The co2 system is interesting, I'm looking to update mine. Also avoiding the misty effect.

I have 5300 litres/hour flow in a 180litre tank and it is not all swirly the flow soon dissipates once you moved awaybfrom the flow source and fish have no issues moving around the tank. Great advantage is spot on co2 levels, great plant growth and no algae despite monster light levels.

That's a lot of flow, is that done with power heads or through the filter pumps.
I'll be looking for good plant growth, so co2 will be added to one of the filter lines back to the tank.
Which defuser is the next question . Definitely I don't want cloudy water.

Back