• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Skellys 60P Build

Picture update time...
df27eb6d3a035bc5726deae9839cf4b4.jpg

Posted in response to being told i shouldn't buy plants and that plastic ones would be more suitable for me.....

Well yea ok, my tank is not perfect but its working for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really been struggling to get a good balance between co2, lighting and good aeration at night since start up. Plant health has generally suffered. I feel im now on the right tracks. No visable new algae growth anywhere and plants starting to show signs of improved growth.
What do you guys think?

53397dd9565bfa77dc2440c4cc9fd282.jpg

Had a slight change of direction with this tank. Lowered the lighting and have switched out many fast growing stems for some slow growers. Tank is in a transition phase and im not happy to show any photos really.

I have been struggling with a little bit of what looks like staghorn algae on mainly my hygro pinatifida, but its also starting to show on a crypt wendtii and even a little on some ammania bonsai. Any tips and advice for eradicating?

Thanks

Hi SK3lly, With the staghorn use easycarbo or excel apply a little with a syringe around the staghorn ;) After a few days of treating it will start to die back :)
Thanks for the tip. I can easily start doing that. Ive been cutting out as much as i can also.

Any ideas as to what causes it?

Is it possible you had dirt in water after you re-plant something? Maybe that dirt went to the filter? I'd also ensure there are no small particles in the water column and filter media is clean. Several water changes would help as well. IMO.

Is it possible you had dirt in water after you re-plant something? Maybe that dirt went to the filter? I'd also ensure there are no small particles in the water column and filter media is clean. Several water changes would help as well. IMO.
Yes lots of upheavals and mulm kicked up recently. I read that this may be the problem. I clean my filter weekly, quite possibly the cleanest filter you will see. I have started to hunt out the detritus much better during water changes now also. Im also going to start doing x2 50% water changes from next week, instead of one.

I just wandered if this was down to co2 at all?

Usually when I had too much light and too low CO2 my tank very fast get a lot of green algae, like Oedogonium. That's usually also due low level of macro nutrients. But staghorn is usually appear when I have some dirt in water column. I think it's quite easy algae, not such stubborn as BBA. Just regular water changes, clean filter - and situation eventually get better.
Don't think I imply you have dirty filter or you're bad at maintenance. I've just tried to explain my observations. Also, too little light is not good for plants as well in my observation.

In my high energy tank (pet shop tank) currently I have problems with BBA and green threads, but no other algaes. Have a lot of light but poor CO2 distribution, I guess.

Usually when I had too much light and too low CO2 my tank very fast get a lot of green algae, like Oedogonium. That's usually also due low level of macro nutrients. But staghorn is usually appear when I have some dirt in water column. I think it's quite easy algae, not such stubborn as BBA. Just regular water changes, clean filter - and situation eventually get better.
Don't think I imply you have dirty filter or you're bad at maintenance. I've just tried to explain my observations. Also, too little light is not good for plants as well in my observation.

In my high energy tank (pet shop tank) currently I have problems with BBA and green threads, but no other algaes. Have a lot of light but poor CO2 distribution, I guess.
Yes i appreciate your help immensely. I wasnt being defensive of my filter maintenance. Just simply stating it so it can be eliminated as a cause of this staghorn.

Hopefully the extra water changes and better in tank cleaning will do the job. I have also slightly upped the co2 too. I dont want to mess with the light also as i dont want to change too many things at once

Hi sk3lly....nice looking tank by the way! I too have a bml led.....Dutch MC with a solunar controller.....just curious how you set the controller.....I'm having trouble making a custom profile for the colour and intensity, and when I call they don't pick up, don't call back or went home early!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back