• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

Thanks guys, for some reason I've had difficulty getting so called "easy" carpeting plants to grow, but so far the HC seems to be doing OK.

The problem i had with HC is i loved it to much and see it grow so lush and happily green. Didn't trim it soon enough. And once it's over the edge and the melt kicks in from the substrate up it is very difficult to get it back without taking all of it out. Experienced it not difficult to grow, but rather difficult to maintain it requires a lot of maintenance and know how, it is very unforgiving of you get sloppy. :)

It's what you call a zen plant, you need to love and find it relaxing to work on it.. Not a plant for people who are rather lazy than tired and seeing it as work.

It certainly is, not so much the regular and severe trimming required but the netting of all the leaves once trimmed...especially if you've got wood above the surface to snag the net on:arghh:

It certainly is, not so much the regular and severe trimming required but the netting of all the leaves once trimmed...especially if you've got wood above the surface to snag the net on:arghh:
I know that one too, that's excactly how i ended up with a lush green bush of HC on my emersed wood.. :lol: Tiny trimmings ending up in the moss and grew on and on and on and i just left it there.. In the tanks substrate i managed to distroy it still after a very promissing dry start, i wasn't able to revive it after the problems started. But emersed it's one of the best and easiest plants you can wish for.

What i found most difficult is to admit to it that it needs a trim when it looks at it's best. I didn't and payed the price.. :shifty:

I know that one too, that's excactly how i ended up with a lush green bush of HC on my emersed wood.. :lol: Tiny trimmings ending up in the moss and grew on and on and on and i just left it there.. In the tanks substrate i managed to distroy it still after a very promissing dry start, i wasn't able to revive it after the problems started. But emersed it's one of the best and easiest plants you can wish for.

What i found most difficult is to admit to it that it needs a trim when it looks at it's best. I didn't and payed the price.. :shifty:

That's exactly how it took hold emersed in this and the previuos scape.

And Thanks Joe.

The new plants arrived today...

28647389891_3ba1e05dac_c.jpg
28107283504_aa80ed9d52_c.jpg

View from the end...
28647395571_507f50e8ff_c.jpg

Just brought 2 dozen or more of these little fellows from Maidenhead Aquatics...http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/boraras-urophthalmoides/
They look as colourful as miniature blind cave fish at the moment but they should colour up nicely once they settle.
Obviously I've turned down my ferocious flow to accommodate them and so far they seem happy - there are plenty of slacks for them to hang out in anyway.

Boraras-uropthalmoides-4.jpg

I have them too, they indeed color up after a while and show a very bright neon stripe .. Some surface vegitation (shelter) and feeding real food helps, like bloodworm and daphnia etc. They love to stay under the canopy close to the surface.. Have them togheter with the maculatus, started with 20 mac. and 12 urop.. They weren't realy all that healthy unfortunately proably inbred and slowly started disapearing in the first few months.. Now i got about 14 of the 32 left of which i know only 2 did jump.. The 14 i got left seem to be healthy and this poppulation stays steady in numbers for 3 months now, had no more loss. I actualy never found a dead one in the tank, probably eaten buy the barbs or shrimps since they are so small. :) I need to buy a few more again, but wait a little longer to see if the numbers stay as is.

Lovely looking fish :).
I've got a thing for Boraras sp :geek:.
Me too...I couldn't believe my luck when I spotted them, and at the right price:)

@Marcel, I know what you mean, it can be heartbreaking. I had 2 lots of 20 Celestials in my last scape. Must have been a bad batch over the course of a few month all but half a dozen or so died:(

I don't have floating plants, but hopefully the overhanging branches with attached moss and HC should provide enough cover to make them feel at home.

Nice fishes, got them in my 20l cube, they're looking awesome!
Thanks;)

:( indeed, that's why i didn't buy those celestials, the are darn expensive €3 a piece and then i see most of them with a flat tummy, like thay already have tuberculosis in the shop. Of few of my rasboras had this to, concave tummy. Probably malnurished or just surviver of the fittest and a bad batch.. But ok sounds rude but for € 1 a piece one can take some changes, buy a lot and see what makes it. Still € 15 down the drain... Probably the name of the game.. :(.. Hopefully you're lucky and they all make it..

I do also not have a lot of floating vegitation left.. But i have a few long strains of elodea still in the tank which float.. And i see them always very close to it.. You might witness the same with the branches.. I see them all in majority at the surface and accasionaly mid level, but always near the plants.. Rarely in the open, only at feeding time...

Same, concave abdomen, TB. That was over a year ago now, I only have two survivors - male and female.
They're retired now, and perfectly happy in my low-energy with an odd mix of other retired small fish:)

Back