• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

16mm filter with 12mm inline heater.

ArnoldW

Seedling
Hello,

Last week I picked up a JBL 1501 filter to replace my old filter. After I got home I realized that my in-line heater Hydor 200w. Has 12mm hose where as the new filter has 16mm hose.

Would it cause a problem if I used an adapter to connect the heater to the filter? I suspect reducing the hose diameter will increase the pressure at the outflow point, will this be a problem? My plan is to put an adapter on each side of the heater.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

I've used adapters to do things like this before, you won't have any problems with pressure or anything, but you will experience a fairly substantial loss of flow.

12mm pipe has about 110mm2 area and 16mm pipe 200mm2, so roughly halving of potential flow. Also JBL warn you not to run their pumps with less than half flow.

One way round it is to split the 16mm pipe, via Y pieces into 2 off 12mm sections, with one section going through the heater.

Best of all, is to do it right, and get a 16mm Hydor.

Back