• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cliff & Plateau

More products arrived and a huge shout-out for GLA for carrying high quality items.

DSC00575.jpg

A bunch of minerals to bring back the good levels in RO water, tank cleaner, wave scissors, inline CO2 diffusor for the refugium tank, 2 x CO2 industrial grade check valves and a CO2 checker that actually holds the chemicals on the outside of the tank.

DSC00570.jpg

And for size reference both GLA CO2 regulators in the same photo.

DSC00564.jpg

Last edited:
I started working on the refugium tank in the kitchen.

Had to pull a power cord through all bottom cabinets because I didn't want to have an exposed wire coming from one of those outlets in the tiles. That was $60 in parts and 2 hours of work alone.

_DSC0576.jpg

The Eheim filter, CO2, heater and everything else will be in the kitchen cabinet right below the tank. I ordered 2 sizes of plastic grommets for the hoses going from and to the filter in the cabinet. I decided for 2 small grommets instead of 1 large.

In case anybody wants some, I found them here: mockett.com

_DSC0577.jpg

Drilling, sawing and routing the holes was a huge mess. I hate particle board! Will have to clean the entire house because there was no way holding a vacuum in one hand while still maintaining a clear cut with a tool in the other hand.

Here the outcome:

_DSC0580.jpg

_DSC0585.jpg

_DSC0584.jpg

I'll get the LED light and hose adapters for this tank in a few days. Then I should be able to finish the entire setup for the refugium, and place orders for plants.

Looks nice, I guess your putting a background on the tank, those switches behind the tank would annoy me to much!

Very neat and tidy with no tight bends in pipes very professional

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

Thank you Zeus!

Looks nice, I guess your putting a background on the tank, those switches behind the tank would annoy me to much!

Thanks. I ordered a bunch of frosted film samples at decorativefilm.com:

Sample of: SXWF-WM White Matte
Sample of: SX-1301 Clear Frost
Sample of: SH2MACR-I Mat Crystal i
Sample of: SH2FNCR Fine Crystal
Sample of: SH2FGCE Cielo
Sample of: 3M 7725-314 Dusted Crystal
Sample of: SH2FGMR Mare
Sample of: SXB-52 Azure Blue Sand Blast
Sample of: SXB-56 Ice Blue Sand Blast

If I like the look of frosted film, I'll build my own LED strip plus controller to go along with. I'm still torn... I think I prefer an all open tank, but those outlets are indeed annoying.

Perhaps even try a solid black background, personally I just use black card or tracing paper / drafting film for the frosted look, not being permanent (or stuck to the glass) allows me to change the look quickly, you could splash out on acrylic sheets (frosted, black etc) cut to size to low for quick changes.

Perhaps even try a solid black background, personally I just use black card or tracing paper / drafting film for the frosted look, not being permanent (or stuck to the glass) allows me to change the look quickly, you could splash out on acrylic sheets (frosted, black etc) cut to size to low for quick changes.

That's a good idea, not going permanent, at least not right away. I thought about a black background but keep in mind, my stones are black and that will result in a rather bad contrast. Maybe dark grey transparent with a light behind it...

More parts arrived today, thanks to Amazon and Sunday delivery. Heater and skimmer for the refugium. When I ordered that Eheim skimmer I thought to myself "You don't need another ADA skimmer, this is just the jail tank". I have a feeling I'll be returning this for another ADA soon.. lol

DSC0588.jpg

The eheim skimmer doesn't look as good as the ADA but is way more functional with the auto float, they will suck in small fish and shrimp tho, can be a pain to try clean, have to pull the whole thing apart to get the sponge out, look at the ocean free skimmer, its a bit better designed but has less flow. These days I just put the skimmer in after I have done my weekly trim, dont leave it in the tank all week, they are pretty ugly.

The eheim skimmer doesn't look as good as the ADA but is way more functional with the auto float, they will suck in small fish and shrimp tho, can be a pain to try clean, have to pull the whole thing apart to get the sponge out, look at the ocean free skimmer, its a bit better designed but has less flow. These days I just put the skimmer in after I have done my weekly trim, dont leave it in the tank all week, they are pretty ugly.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll test both the ADA and the Eheim. If I run intro issues, I'll look into the Ocean Free Skimmer.

Chances are I'll also place a custom order for a mini glass skimmer / intake combo.

This but much smaller:

31cCx2NyoKL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

The TwinStar Algae Inhibitor arrived today. Neat little device. Too bad the wire isn't longer, I'd rather have the generator in the cabinet instead of hanging on the outside of the tank.

IMG_3115.jpg

It's getting cramped.

Img_3121.jpg

The TwinStar Algae Inhibitor arrived today. Neat little device. Too bad the wire isn't longer, I'd rather have the generator in the cabinet instead of hanging on the outside of the tank.

IDD, same issue with mine too, was going to try and get an extension cable, but they have a very small plug, plus might have issues with an increased resistance too. You got you citric acid ready for cleaning it?

The problem with this thread is it makes all my photos I link look shabby :rage: can we please have some pics off low quality :lol:

IDD, same issue with mine too, was going to try and get an extension cable, but they have a very small plug, plus might have issues with an increased resistance too. You got you citric acid ready for cleaning it?

The problem with this thread is it makes all my photos I link look shabby :rage: can we please have some pics off low quality :lol:

I'd like to contact TwinStar and ask them if they would custom make a few reactors with longer cable, or at least provide the specs for the plug. All I can find is this official TwinStar dealer in Europe but I have no clue who the manufacturer is and where they are located at. Do you know it?

Hows your bunch of sawbwa resplendens doing? Would you mind sharing some photos? Are they behaving or going nuts with no females around?
Finally moved them from the too small Q tank into bigger quarters - sorry no photos as am crap at it (& they don't look like much right now anyway)
On arrival the fish looked to be all much the same - pale grey fish with a touch of orange on some, ranging from thin to emaciated ...
they were quiet in the Q tank (45cm ADA) & almost seemed to be split into two groups, they'd range the tank but any movement outside the tank & they'd dive into the back wall of plants

They are now in a 90cm x 45cm x 53cm (tall) tank, the females are easy to identify with their dark spot (as seen in the Seriously Fish profile photos) & group looks to be ~ 40% females, only a few fish appear adult size

It's a couple hours later & the Sawbwa are now traveling about the tank in quite the tight shoal - curious to see & not the behaviour I was expecting ... perhaps just the realization they can swim :wideyed:
These guys are staying in the upper third & seem to pause in one corner, then begin a few more laps
- as in the Q tank they seem to have 2 groups, they'll mingle then break away, not sure if it's same fish each time but the relative size of the groups is fairly consistent

I've some Microdevario kubotai & a few of them keep getting sucked into the excitement, then realize it's not their problem ;) & they can relax (they are definitely only the most casual of shoalers unless stressed)

Then there are 10 or so Sawbwa that are just chilling near the substrate, meandering about

Hopefully the streaming Sawbwa will relax :crazy: - I like my fish to be of the drifty sort

I've S vaillanti in the tank & they appear to be engaging in some major courting - she's in stunning color, he's puffing his throat (to demonstrate his ability to carry many eggs & hold many babies :lol:) & of course lots of rushes & jabs to show how tough they each are :rolleyes:

The Sawbwa thought they might intimidate the vaillanti :oops: but now carefully swim around them

Hi mate, where in Florida are you? It a very nice place. I have relatives in Melbourne.

Are you sticking with the 3 rock arrangement? I recently did a 3 rock scape (3 pillars really). Haven't got pics as it was entered into a competition.

Try not to have the 3 rocks evenly spaced. As some of the surface of each rock is fairly smooth, try to cover the smooth patched with moss. Ideally a chop/paste dsm would be a better way to go.

Imo, limit the scape to 3 plant species max.

All the kit in the tank is nice, but i think you'll soon learn to live without most of it. Removing it for photos is a pain. And the effects of the twinstar are dubious at best. And do you even need a heater? How cold does you house get in the middle of Winter?

It's a couple hours later & the Sawbwa are now traveling about the tank in quite the tight shoal - curious to see & not the behaviour I was expecting ... perhaps just the realization they can swim :wideyed:
These guys are staying in the upper third & seem to pause in one corner, then begin a few more laps
- as in the Q tank they seem to have 2 groups, they'll mingle then break away, not sure if it's same fish each time but the relative size of the groups is fairly consistent

I've some Microdevario kubotai & a few of them keep getting sucked into the excitement, then realize it's not their problem ;) & they can relax (they are definitely only the most casual of shoalers unless stressed)

Then there are 10 or so Sawbwa that are just chilling near the substrate, meandering about

Hopefully the streaming Sawbwa will relax :crazy: - I like my fish to be of the drifty sort

I've S vaillanti in the tank & they appear to be engaging in some major courting - she's in stunning color, he's puffing his throat (to demonstrate his ability to carry many eggs & hold many babies :lol:) & of course lots of rushes & jabs to show how tough they each are :rolleyes:

The Sawbwa thought they might intimidate the vaillanti :oops: but now carefully swim around them

I love your fish posts, can picture exactly what you are describing. I can't wait to watch them for hours to come.

MAYBE I'll add a 2nd species at some point, but for now its Rummynose Rasboras and some Royal Blue Orange Eye Tiger shrimp.

Hi mate, where in Florida are you? It a very nice place. I have relatives in Melbourne.

Are you sticking with the 3 rock arrangement? I recently did a 3 rock scape (3 pillars really). Haven't got pics as it was entered into a competition.

Try not to have the 3 rocks evenly spaced. As some of the surface of each rock is fairly smooth, try to cover the smooth patched with moss. Ideally a chop/paste dsm would be a better way to go.

Imo, limit the scape to 3 plant species max.

All the kit in the tank is nice, but i think you'll soon learn to live without most of it. Removing it for photos is a pain. And the effects of the twinstar are dubious at best. And do you even need a heater? How cold does you house get in the middle of Winter?

I'm in the Tampa Bay area. Not sure yet with the scape. I have drawn a layout that I will try first as soon as I don't have to move the stand and tank anymore. I won't try any scapes without the substrate, its kinda a waste of time.

I do not want a bunch of small stones in the 90cm tank, this is not going to be your average Iwagumi setup. It will be much simpler and most likely contain only one plant (Elatine hydropiper or Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba), AMYBE some dwarf hair grass Eleocharis parvula. No moss. I do not want anything on the stones. They are way too expensive to have them covered up.

I thought about a Green Machine setup, but as a noob I don't want to deal with 5+ different plants and whatnot.

Not sure yet regarding the TwinStar. Some say it doesn't do anything, a certain majority claim to see some success. I'll try it with and without. If I manage to combat algae without the TwinStar, it will stay out of the tank or reactor, obviously.

The heater will only come on between December and February. I usually don't have to heat the house at all, but a few days each year it will drop below 20 C. So main reason for the heater is consistency.

Chances are I'll have to add 2 chillers, especially if we get hit by a major storm and the power goes out. The Rummynose Rasboras like it a bit cooler at around 20 C. My AC is set to 75 F / 24 C year round.

Back