• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

correct CO2 levels

Diddymen

quick question,

my CO2 levels are 20mg according to my checker (one of these...not my pic BTW)

co2_a10.jpg

Its placed at the opposite end of my tank from the diffuser.

But I've read on hear that the colour should be a light green (closer 50mg?), ...it that due to different testers

Many of the problem posts on here, that sound similar to mine (algae, plant growth not as vigorous as expected) seem to suggest CO2 is too low ....should I be aiming to get a lighter green?

Many of the problem posts on here, that sound similar to mine (algae, plant growth not as vigorous as expected) seem to suggest CO2 is too low
Low CO2 does not necessarily cause algae.

What can cause algae is CO2 too low for the light levels you are supplying and having varying CO2 levels through out the lighting period.

If your drop checker is a JBL that uses tank water in drop checker, these are really hopeless to useless in reading CO2 (as you are supposed to calibrate against tank pH before reading). Try using repeat using standard 4dkH water and indicator.

Get yourself a pH pen (pen not test kit) and measure pH before CO2 and when you think you have 20ppm CO2. A pH drop equates to roughly 30ppm CO2 (see chart below) and 20ppm equates to a 0.8-0.9 pH drop. ie if your pH is 7.9 before CO2 start and 7 after say 2 hours then you have 20ppm.

co2_graph_zps9c124ef0-gif.gif

In the end, if your are using standard indicator in your drop check, this level of green looks fine, so you don't have a CO2 problem in this part of the tank. You need to look for other reasons for your algae.

Try not to run like this....though as you can see fish completely unaffected. But no need to waste CO2 getting levels like this.
upload_2018-1-24_13-44-46.png

I have recently started using co2 and have a jbl kit the solution is premixed so there is no water to add (with mine at least) the solution comes in a small bottle that you add 35 drops straight to the drop checker with no water and that’s all. Maybe it’s a new thing I’m not sure?? I have the same question too I think I’ve dialed it up a bit from the suggested 20mgl from jbl
BACED81B-958D-41BD-904E-C5DC66E9F433.png
9D2D95F9-3AC2-4896-8421-4C87D9D83B66.jpeg
9C748953-5218-4DD2-8D1C-C096C565FAB5.jpeg

I have recently started using co2 and have a jbl kit the solution is premixed so there is no water to add (with mine at least) the solution comes in a small bottle that you add 35 drops straight to the drop checker with no water and that’s all. Maybe it’s a new thing I’m not sure?? I have the same question too I think I’ve dialed it up a bit from the suggested 20mgl from jblView attachment 115149View attachment 115148View attachment 115147
It comes with a prepared solution, probably pre-mixed with 4dKH water. The CO2 scale is probably fine... but don't pay attention to the water PH charts it comes with... there can be other things other than CO2 influencing the PH in an aquarium, like they state in the instructions..

Back