• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are these?

Hi all,
do these lay eggs? or they carry the young?
Both. If you are squeamish don't look at the pictures in the <"Helobdella stagnalis">, although I think it is kind of cute.
Because they show parental care you need to remove any larger ones fairly carefully or all the juvenile leeches will escape from under the body. <"The Evolution of Parental Care in Freshwater Leeches">. This was how I was able to pin mine down to <"Helobdella spp">.
<"
http://www.uk-wildlife.co.uk/dt_gallery/helobdella-stagnalis/">
cheers Darrel

Both. If you are squeamish don't look at the pictures in the <"Helobdella stagnalis">, although I think it is kind of cute.
I did see those photos, pretty cool how someone manage to take them :) I will be happy when I dont see them no more!

The good news is the traps are working, I must have taken out at least 20-30! hard to count!!
The bad news I think they figure out a way to escape if the trap is left there for too long.

The good news is the traps are working, I must have taken out at least 20-30! hard to count!!
The bad news I think they figure out a way to escape if the trap is left there for too long.
Take them out for a few days then put them back in!

Take them out for a few days then put them back in!
Hot water and salt on them and they are DEAD! :)
I have reset the traps every 2 hours this evening and have caught another 20 or so!
I will keep doing that over the next 2-3 days and see how many more fall for it! ;)

As I am working from home today, left traps in there over night and caught a few more, reset the traps this morning and already some in there! that 60cm was infested for sure!

Hi all,

What have you baited them with?

cheers Darrel
81wGNS0FeLL._SL1500_.jpg

Bloody hell you’re spoiling them before you dispatch them!
It's pretty effective so I don't mind the premium cost! :)
The alternative is a lot more expensive!

I wonder what all the leaches are feeding on to support such a large population? Do they not kill the snails they feed on?

I wonder what all the leaches are feeding on to support such a large population? Do they not kill the snails they feed on?
I am wondering that too, I have not seen any empty snail shells in the tanks! Considering their number, one thing that I noticed was missing recently was little baby shrimp! I have a feeling they prefer those to snails!

The traps I set last night only caught 2 of them, so I must have caught the majority of them by now, I must have taken out 50-60!

I am wondering that too, I have not seen any empty snail shells in the tanks! Considering their number, one thing that I noticed was missing recently was little baby shrimp! I have a feeling they prefer those to snails!

The traps I set last night only caught 2 of them, so I must have caught the majority of them by now, I must have taken out 50-60!

I had a quick google, and it appears that leeches don't need to feed very often, and some can go 6-12 months without feeding - so that must be why the population can be that large without obvious losses of other aquarium inhabitants.

It may also mean though that your trapping regime might require a long term approach to get them all, especially those that have eaten recently and don't need to feed for a few months.

Back