• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rotala blood red is blotchy?

Thank you, I will keep you posted!
I'm dosing as prescripted via the solutions made from dry salts in the EI package delivered by PlantedBox.
@Happi : The trace elements are not csm+b according to the seller. The Potassium phosphate is KH2PO4.

Last edited:
Are you dosing straight into the water column?
If you are, best mixing the fertilizers with a jug of aquarium water.....then tipping it in.
Rotala are very susceptible to leaf burn if the fertilizers are dosed too near them.

No, premixing it with distilled water as described by PlantedBox.
Yes, Indeed.....
Add to the aquarium water column not in the vicinity of the Rotala Blood Red!

Yes, Indeed.....
Add to the aquarium water column not in the vicinity of the Rotala Blood Red!
Always in the stream of the outflow. The Rotala is one of the last to be "hit".

OK, here's what I could find out.
MACRO's1000 ml500 ml30 ml
weight in grams
Potassium NitrateKNO3102513,06
Potassium PhosphateKH2PO4115,50,33
Potassium sorbateC6H7KO22,061,030,0618
Vinegar1050,3
MICRO's1000 ml500 ml30 ml
weight in grams
Magnesium SulfateMgSO461,230,61,836
Trace elements13,36,650,399
Vinegar1050,3
Iron1000 ml500 ml30 ml
weight in grams
IronFe DTPA10,45,20,312
Vinegar1050,3

So the right collumn (30ml) is my weekly dose for the tank. But how do I convert that to N, P, K, Mg etc in ppm?
And what do I need? (as a guideline)

I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, but I'd like to master this and do it right!

(Sjeezz, BBCode is ugly...:oops:)

1712739240359.png

Last edited:
So the right collumn (30ml) is my weekly dose for the tank. But how do I convert that to N, P, K, Mg etc in ppm?
A calculator like above is the easiest way of doing it.
Your salt weights indicated in the 30ml column are adding weekly.
No3: 18.77 ppm or N: 4.24 ppm
K: 12.78 ppm
Po4: 2.3 ppm or P: 0.75 ppm
Mg: 1.81 ppm

Can't work out levels of Fe or trace mix without knowing for sure the exact composition of them. Eg: dtpa 7%, dtpa 11%.

After 2 times a 50% water change and trimming of the Rotala there is some new "better" growth. Defenately less coloring and especially the centers.
I also notice a significant increase in green thread or hair algae. Balance was off as a result of stopping with ferts I guess. The light will have to be dimmed a bit, or can I start fertilizing a little? (@G H Nelson: asked carefully, since you asked for a 4 week stop period)

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
Continue with water changes and dose 25% of the recommendation.
New leaves need to mature before colour increase's.
Green thread algae = too much light usually?
Will do 25%!
"Green thread algae = too much light usually?" Yes, but I didn't change anything, but stopping ferts. So I think the balance was off because of that. Now I turned the light a bit down and the CO2 up.

Hi there!
I promised to keep you informed. Wel, it turned for the better! All new growth on the Rotala is looking much better now. Although they look a bit thin (longer internodes). Can that be a result of less ferts?
I'll attach a pic later on when the lights are on.

Back