• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1 week old tank, algea and other

Alastair said:
hiya dawid, have a read of this regarding flow in planted tanks, and look at clives post 9th down. he explains why its better with spraybars along the back etc and has changed his eheim bars to fluval ones. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1167

Also, if you have no luck with your koralia, i have a very soon to be spare tetra tec ex1200 that ill gladly give you if your willing to pay postage mate and maybe a little donation to ukaps ;)

thats way you can run both spray bars along the back

Cheers

alastair

Hi there !

Thanks for the link, I will have a look and read it for a second, maybe I will think to put it on the back, but the second problem will be, the CO2 diffuser, in which place? I was thinking about the atomiser which I mention before but how should I make it once there will be 2 external filters? Right in the middle at the back?

About the tetra tec, really big suprise! and I will definetely take it and pay for postage as well as make donation for ukaps!.

Thanks a lot!
Dawid

dawidmNS said:
Alastair said:
hiya dawid, have a read of this regarding flow in planted tanks, and look at clives post 9th down. he explains why its better with spraybars along the back etc and has changed his eheim bars to fluval ones. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1167

Also, if you have no luck with your koralia, i have a very soon to be spare tetra tec ex1200 that ill gladly give you if your willing to pay postage mate and maybe a little donation to ukaps ;)

thats way you can run both spray bars along the back

Cheers

alastair

Hi there !

Thanks for the link, I will have a look and read it for a second, maybe I will think to put it on the back, but the second problem will be, the CO2 diffuser, in which place? I was thinking about the atomiser which I mention before but how should I make it once there will be 2 external filters? Right in the middle at the back?

About the tetra tec, really big suprise! and I will definetely take it and pay for postage as well as make donation for ukaps!.

Thanks a lot!
Dawid

you could go two ways with the co2 diffusing, you could buy two of the up atomizers, and split the two using splitter and needle valves,which ill give you the links to for what i use, or you could have two glass diffusers under each intake or at the front of the tank, your choice.

splitter: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6mm-Equal-Y-Pneum ... 439cf0c1c8

Flow valves: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT.

These work fine for me, and they should do you combined postage if you email them.

no worries about the filter, its got all media with it too so just needs plugging in. pm me for that though mate. :D

I've decided not to split the Co2 to each of my filters. Instead I have "stacked" my spray bars so that, hopefully, get C02 all over the tank. At the moment I have one filter running through an AM1000 and the other through a Hydor ETH 300.

Bobtastic said:
I've decided not to split the Co2 to each of my filters. Instead I have "stacked" my spray bars so that, hopefully, get C02 all over the tank. At the moment I have one filter running through an AM1000 and the other through a Hydor ETH 300.

Ahh good idea that is. That would save on dawid having to buy two up atomisers too. I never thought of that. I presume the bar with the co2 would be placed underneath the other then?

That was the plan, but I made a replacement spray bar for the Co2 driving filter (Eheim) and the tube was shorter than anticipated. So, it's currently running on the top but as the Co2 enriched water mixes with the flow from the bottom bar it should push it all round the tank.

Hi there

Unfortunetely, algea still progressing...
I recieved today Koralia 2, well,very strong powerhead :D some of the glosso just though away from the substrate :D
But I think once I will recieve a second filter from Alastair for which Im really thanksful, I will make 2 spray bars at the back, maybe even link them together into one. Just thinking to use 1 atomiser or 2 as I think this will be the best option for co2 distribution. Im still waiting for the CO2 drop checker, as maybe there is faulty with not enough co2 or its distribution. I think that dry salts are ok so will see once 2 filters will be running with atomisers.
Also once second filter will be running, I will take Koralia 2 out of the tank, becauce I dont think it will be needed and it will just fight with the flow from spray bars.

Regards
Dawid

Alastair said:
See your from Manchester too bob...sweet!!

With the co2 bar being on top though, would some of the flow of the bar underneath it interfere at all? I'm only asking as I could probably extend both spray bars in mine and just run the co2 into one filter instead :0)

Yeah, just round the corner, in the grands scheme of things.

I must admit I'm not 100% sure if having the Co2 through the upper spray bar would have a negative effect on the flow of Co2 enriched water. Atm I'm not seeing any problems with it, but the tank has only been running for 4days, so only time will tell. I could be able to switch them over once I've made second spray bar.

I only asked as I'd have thought if it was underneath the top one, then flow from the top would help push the co2 flow down too? Not that I'd know from experience he he.
I've given up with the idea and just run co2 straight into my filters. Have two fx5s now that bash the co2 up so hardly see any bubbles :0)

Thanks guys ;)

What I will do is instead of putting one above second below I will just place them on the whole back wall next to each other.
Like in the link which Alastair you gave few posts above ;)
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1167&start=10

Look on the tank and the spray bar at the back. The only difference is that this spray bar is sticked together, there are 2 eheims. So I thought it might be very good idea, and 2 atomisers.

Regards
Dawid

That's how I run my spray bars and my whole tank gets co2 all over. The only bars that are joined in that thread though is where ceg has extended one of the bars. I hope you didn't mean joining one long bar so both filters run the same bar. That wouldn't work as the flow would fight one another

Hi there

I know the reason for my algea problems, it is flow and wrong co2 distribution ;)

I have recieved today second filter for which Im very thanksful. I placed spraybars at the back wall the flow looks good now.
The reason I know it is about flow and wrong co2 distribution is once I placed the Koralia 2 I noticed today that on the left side of the tank where co2 diffusor was placed there are very little algea, while on the right side there are a lot of them! Like Chris said on 1st page that spray bar placed on the left side won't have enough strong flow to supply with co2 and nutrients for right side and he was right.

So I hope placing spray bars at the back will help.
Also I ordered today 2 atomisers for eheim and tetratec filters, as well as spliter and flow valves that Alastair recommend on page 2 I think.

Well now just wait ;)

dawidmNS said:
Also I ordered today 2 atomisers for eheim and tetratec filters, as well as spliter and flow valves that Alastair recommend on page 2 I think.

With the splitter and flow valves will you still be able to get the required 2bar of pressure that the UP atomisers need to operate?

I'm wondering whether I need to re-think my Co2 solution...

Bobtastic said:
dawidmNS said:

With the splitter and flow valves will you still be able to get the required 2bar of pressure that the UP atomisers need to operate?

I'm wondering whether I need to re-think my Co2 solution...

Hi bob, i ran with the super mist diffusor like the one aqua essentials sell for inside the tank, and that needs between 2 and 3.5 to work correctly and they ran fine with my splitter and valves mate :D. only took them off as i prefer the almost no bubble look inside my tank

Hello

Lots of improvments had been made.

From last time there are 2 filters which I wrote about before but each of their spray bar is extented for whole lenght of the tank and there are 2 of them , one above, one below. The atomiser is working from 2 days, the co2 drop checkers shows green colour so the level of co2 should be ok. So CO2 and flow is sorted.

The algea I had that you can see on the first page are sorted. There are just few more of them, not much, I removed most of them by hand and they are not coming back( fantastic algea eater in this situation were my angel fish!, not amano which I bought but angels, amano are hiding all the time for unknown reason, they were bought before angels and still the same situation). However, while these algea pased away, the cyano Blue Green Algae, BGA is improving. I was trying to remove manualy, but it i still growing and probably even faster. The glosso stopped to grow from the time I last trimed it. All other plants are doing good especially blyxa, but glosso doesnt want to grow. Im havent got any tests (advice given from ukaps member :D ) so Im unable to check my water. I was thinking about blackout but there is no point of doing blackout if there are problems with nutriens.

To calculate my macros im using:
http://www.fluidsensoronline.com/calcul ... ive-index/

Which elements should I increase to keep cyano away and by how much? And what about blackout? Do it or not?

Regards
Dawid

Hi,

I've posted a topic on cyano just a few days ago which you can read here: http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16102

Nevertheless, BGA are a consequence of low nitrates. I was suggested to up the levels of nitrates (KNO3) to 80 ppm.
I have done so and even more > 100 ppm but to no avail. In my case, a 4-day blackout was necessary and it proved 100% efficient. I've beed dosing normal EI afterwards and no signs of BGA until today.

This was my experience and I hope it helps,

GM

Hi

Thanks for the link.

I will have a try, Im going to make 50% water change today, and then for 4 days blackout, I hope it will help ;)

Regards
Dawid

Hello

Its been a while i didnt write anything.
4 days blackout seems killed all algea. I cant see even the single algea of any type so thats the good news :) tank is working properly for 1 week without the algea so i think it is a good sign that everything is ok.

I was thinking if I could add 1 more bulb 36w? I will keep the day period still at 6-7h and won't increase it. What do you think guys? Good idea as long as my drop checker will be green? I want to increase plant growth especially glosso which seems as the only plant that is not doing so well.

Regards
Dawid

Back