• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10l - Gone

Re: 10 Liter AquaEl

niiiice, they were in a proper state.

liking the moss placement mate. sands looking rather sweet too, going to look good with the dark rock and lush green :D

Thanks nayr.

I've borrowed a 25-105L lens from a local tog for 10 days so I can shoot his own wedding for him, so I decided to try it out on my 5D with this tank. If I could have a nice general lens right now for myself it would be this one, as my 70-200 is a bit too long for most uses I find, however it is brilliant at what it does. This is shot at ISO 400 @F22.

Here's the shot anyway - I didn't bother removing equipment!! It's still a right mess in there, but I'm confident it'll look good once grown in. I can see the finished scape in my head, but it's just taking a while to get going!
IMG_0720.jpg

I've got some Rotala wallichii in there now too, and am awaiting some more decent Marsilea. I have some Willow Moss on the way too, so am debating swapping it for the Java. Got Xmas in the 25l too, and I just don't know which to use where!

Tom

Scape and setup looks good Tom.

On the plants from experience I would say that they have grown the HC in sheets. Maybe on compost or similar and then transferred it into pots for sale.

When I start up a new batch I do that BUT I then let it grow onto/into the rockwool for another 4-5 weeks. Looks like you got it after a few days.

Good you got a refund on it though.

Keep us posted on progress

AC

No, that was just Compact T5s. 2 over the tank (9w and 11w) and 18w over the white board background. I'd like to try flash at some point. I've got a canon 430EX and an old Miranda flash with wireless triggers I could use. I've not used flash for tank lighting before.

Tom

Here's my first try with a flash. My main difficulty was getting enough light to the front center of the tank, as the main rock leans forwards really quite far - it almost touches the front glass. Under the normal T5 lighting you can't see much difference with your eyes, but with a single flash over the tank it is heavily shadowed. The way to overcome that seemed to be to add "reflectors", or bits of white foamboard I had lying around either side to reflect the light back to the front of the main rock. I definitely prefer this look than with T5's. It's easier to sort the white balance this way too I think :)

ResizeAssistant-1-1.jpg

Tom

Just made my first trim of the M. umbrosum. Should hopefully have some more Marsilea and HC in the post, so may get that tomorrow. I've also ordered a load of Willow Moss that I got a really good price on, but I have no clue what to do with it!! I might swap it for the Java that's in there at the moment, or it might go in the 25l I'm using just to grow random stuff.

Tom said:
It's easier to sort the white balance this way too I think :)

do you shoot RAW tom? I find with RAW, I can just about the 'correct' looking W/B with the wrong K rating tube....if that makes sense.

flash of course, should be as close to 5400.

i REALLY need to start gettin into photography :oops: nice pics that main rock is so 'right' haha

i just want to point and shoot and the camara do all the work......possibility?

i just want to point and shoot and the camara do all the work......possibility?

Maybe... ;) I shoot manual on my 5D as I find it easier, and make sure to underexpose by 2/3 of a stop on evaluative metering to not overexpose the lighter parts of the tank. This is because the evaluative metering takes an average reading, and the darkness of the large rock throws the balance off.

In general, I think you would get away with a semi-automatic mode provided you didn't use any flash and were able to adjust the exposure value up or down as needed. Most compacts should let you do that.

Tom

Cheers Tom :)

Even that post confuses me, could you recommend any camaras for a complete noob? sorry to hijack mate pm me if you would rather.

Ryan.

It looks like the HC, Grass and Moss are starting to grow a little. I can see several new blades of Hairgrass poking through the larger grains of Forest Sand, and the odd new leaf from the HC. I'm just wondering if the moss might not be quite compact enough for this little tank. Have to see how it grows in.

I've dropped my TPN dose down to 0.2ml/day as well since the trimming yesterday. Hopefully the stems will start budding new leaves soon, and I can increase the dose again :)

Just waiting for my plants now :D

Looks great with the new lighting!

Tom said:
I've dropped my TPN dose down to 0.2ml/day as well since the trimming yesterday. Hopefully the stems will start budding new leaves soon, and I can increase the dose again :)
Why reduce the dosing after trimming? I was of the understanding that plants may need more nutrients after pruning...

In my experience plants respond well to consistency. Providing there's enough nutrients to supply all of your plants, all of the time, then there's no real need to adjust dosing. After all, nutrients don't cause algae, providing you have healthy and growing plants provided by appropriate levels of light, CO2 and circulation. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. It's great to see you back! :D

I've added that extra 0.1ml of TPN :thumbup:

Cheers again, It's good to actually have a hobby again! A combination of College, work, and screwing up an ADA tank that I spent a year collecting substrate, ferts and glassware for kind of gave me the push and I stopped almost everything fishy and planty while photography took over. Unfortunately, I think the same thing is happening to my photography since doing it at college and then trying to build up freelance work, but the Aquascaping side of things has definitely made a return. One week after setting this tank up, I have already made plans and a shopping list for the 25l, but whether that happens or not we'll see! I've found I've had to re-learn everything, as I think I've just been lucky in the past! I'm starting to see why the first few went well, and why the last could completely screwed up!

With "At Forest's Gate" and the other few variations of the "Java" layouts, I had used Aquasoil Malaya with a very low nutrient content, but I was also dosing Brighty Special Lights. When I changed layouts, I used Amazonia without realising it had a high nutrient content, and was still dosing Special Lights in the same ratios as before from the start. I reckon if I only dosed Step 1 and Brighty K and kept my CO2 in check I would have been fine, but there we go. Live and learn!

Tom

Back