• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10l - Gone

Re: 10l - Picture update 7/01

Tropica wholesale prices are substantially higher than many other companies - aquadip for example. It's understandable that the prices are higher, but in my opinion it is too much.

Haha I don't think your post will be covered up too quickly, UKAPS isn't like our government :p

Hahaha, people have already taken to calling it that.

Plants have universally gone through the roof pricing wise. Nearly £300 for 30 pots of plants I got quoted recently, the equivalent Af cost roughly a 3rd of that, there are other options available, but some just do not have the quality.

oh god ..what have i started !! haha

discount card for ukaps members??? maybe a sign up fee but you should receive news letters heads up on incoming stock and info help regarding the hobby...aswell as special club offers..... :twisted:

wheres my mixing spoon?

Looking nice Tom. Give me a shout for micraithemoides if you need it in february.
Pets at home have tropica at a fairly low prices, 3 for 10 i reckon. You dont get to choose though.

You always have so much of that going spare!!! I've still got the last lot you sent me - well, some of it - growing emersed in a tub on my window sill along with some spiky moss.

I've found pets at home to be quite good if you catch them on a delivery day or day after. They soon go to waste though round here.

Tom said:
You always have so much of that going spare!!! I've still got the last lot you sent me - well, some of it - growing emersed in a tub on my window sill along with some spiky moss.

I've found pets at home to be quite good if you catch them on a delivery day or day after. They soon go to waste though round here.

:oops: Yes yes, loads of it for another 6 months or so :)
Completely true for pets at home. You are lucky if you catch, waste later. I am popping in quite often just to check.

Re: 10l - Picture update 9/12

Tom said:
IMG_8884.jpg
Looking lovely, Tom. I love the complex textures.

Good luck with the brown algae. How's the circulation down there?

Thanks George. What do you think about the open substrate on the left? I've got a couple of bits of HC there now that are starting to spread, but it'll be ages before it's similar to the right side. I've just seen I need to re-do the moss at the back left now too. The HC could also do with neatening up.

Hi Tom

I like the open sand. I think the layout needs some open area, but maybe it could be better positioned?

At the moment it provides a big contrast to the vertical edge of the stone. I am wondering if the open area were on the right it may make a nicer transition.

It all depends on what effect you're after. The openness against the vertical rock makes for a cliff-effect I guess.

What was your thinking behind it, or was it a 'random' decision?

What does work very nicely is the moss attaching to the stone. I must try this at some point!

What camera are you using for this? Is the 5D fixed?

It's more a case of "the HC didn't grow on that side" rather than a deliberate decision. Probably due to the light being blocked slightly by the large rock. I'm wondering if I could lift the HC from the front of the scape and reposition it on the left, and have a play to balance the light more evenly. Could go very wrong though!

Moss is the only plant I've grown in every scape without fail. Good thing it's my favourite!

The last couple of pictures are with the 450D with standard 18-55is. The 5D is still dead for now. I spoke to Canon, who didn't really have an answer other than "book it in for a service at £120+vat and we'll narrow down the problem". Yeah, I've got £120+vat just sitting here! So it'll be a little while before it gets sorted yet. Good job I'm getting into this medium format lark ;)

Stunning tank, the planting makes the rock look like its been there for years. What species of moss did you go for in the end? Where did you get hold of your willow moss too, if you don't mind me asking? Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Thanks Neil :) It's plain old Java, like my previous tanks - just kept tidy and trimmed. The Willow was from eBay, not specifically labelled for planted tanks though. It looked like it had been grown in a pond. The "leaves" were very dark and tough. Once the new growth comes through in a tank it is a much lighter green and a bit more delicate looking.

Tom

Right, now I've hopefully sussed the reason behind the bad growth (water softener), I've had a right good clear out and trimmed most of the nasty stuff. The rock had never been secure really either, and was too close to the front glass for me to clean without knocking it. Sooo... I removed a couple of rocks and ended up with a new-ish layout.
IMG_9057.jpg

Question is, Do I use the leftover post of HC on this?
IMG_9059.jpg

Tom

Back