• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10l Nano Shrimp Tank DSM

Ray

So I started with "Critique my hardscape" over here.

69cf0bc67c1693d359d9b72f1a1d65a3.jpg

It's an old Dennerle 10l nano tank - 20x20x25cm. Originally it was going to be a low tech shrimp tank with a moss and eleocharis lawn. However I just watched the James Findley video on making scree and I really like his plant list. Plus my spare 500g CO2 cylinder from 10 years ago is still full, and that should last a while on a 10l tank, so YOLO as my kids say....

Plants ordered, all in Tropica 1-2 grow pots:

Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas'
Marsilea crenata
Eriocaulon cinereum
Pogostemon erectus

I'm still planning to do Dry Start Method(!)

Other Parameters:

KH of around 8.4 to 9.5
Lighting: Dennerle Nano Style LED "M" 6W
Filtration: generic 60l/hour HOB with bio filter granules.
Substrate: used ADA Aqua-soil Malaya revitalised with Tropica nutrition capsules.

Do you think this will work guys?

Last edited:
Looks great ray should be nice and heavily planted for a nano keep algae away hopefully.

Dean

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ray
So I soaked the soil and planted away and this nano game is great - so quick - no finishing at 1am this time!

8a2160aa0c64db961939659d64676161.jpg

4b75156d67afd81ff5bf9c194a1fb38c.jpg

8558fb0bead1a7ddc1526ba6d030986d.jpg

So many questions about what happens now. Not least will tissue culture Pogostemon Erectus cope with a dry start?

So now clingfilm up and wait and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just about to ask about how you attached the moss, but its a dry start! Excellent.
Do like the moss sitting at the base of the rock. I may borrow that idea!

Nice work!
Thank you for sharing.

Simon

The aqua scaping savant @Tim Harrison once said:
Nevertheless, the DSM is not without its downside. Looking at a tank devoid of water for several weeks can stretch delayed gratification to its limits.
So spoke a man who knew what he was talking about!

Day 10 Update:

Vesicularia dubyana (Xmas moss) - this is definitely growing.
Pogostemon erectus - living up to it's name and standing up.
Eriocaulon cinereum - not much action yet but turned a nice green colour compared to when I planted it.
Marsilea crenata - some dead leaves. I was worried this was nitrogen burn from droplets forming on the leaves when I spray, so have switched to ordinary water without ferts for that. I do have a 2nd spare pot so I will try cramming some of that in to see if it is similarly afflicted.

347c79745cf7bef8dc93f097d9888a70.jpg

508fa1fc6b352ec8a7423ecfedee153b.jpg

Last edited:
Dry start makes so much sense if the time is available to keep humidity up each day. I’ve got a few little hygrometers/thermometers that were very cheap online. Wonder if such a thing could be used in a ‘dry’ tank between sprayings to keep an eye on humidity. Guess you want as close to full saturation as possible. Plants look perfectly happy in there for sure.

best wishes

BG

Dry start makes so much sense if the time is available to keep humidity up each day. I’ve got a few little hygrometers/thermometers that were very cheap online. Wonder if such a thing could be used in a ‘dry’ tank between sprayings to keep an eye on humidity. Guess you want as close to full saturation as possible.

f2bbd0e03055c0fe0f889cfdbf145765.jpg

That would be fun but isn’t necessary - with clingfilm over the top it keeps very humid (the glass mists up) - I remove the film twice a day and give it a few puffs from my spray gun. That’s all!

Marsilea crenata - some dead leaves. I was worried this was nitrogen burn from droplets forming on the leaves when I spray, so have switched to ordinary water without ferts for that. I do have a 2nd spare pot so I will try cramming some of that in to see if it is similarly afflicted.
I suggest finding another home for the extra Marsilea, it seems to like finding itself with some space rather than being crammed together

When using DSM it’s beneficial to wait for plants to root (and show new growth) before flooding
(though obviously you can flood whenever)

Day 28 update:

Vesicularia dubyana (Xmas moss) - going crazy, I keep having to pull strands out to keep it off the Marsilea.
Pogostemon erectus - growing nicely with good deep roots. I love this plant - it even grows in my low tech betta tank!
Eriocaulon cinereum - limited growth so far and has put down short 2cm roots. I am not sure what it is waiting for?
Marsilea crenata - die back from emersed transition/nitrogen burn continues and new growth is showing but is very tiny (see photo).

I am thinking I have to wait a few more weeks before flooding because of the Marsilea - if I flood now all the dying leaves will rot and trigger an algae bloom unless I can somehow prune them all out - but how!?

Full Tank shot:
3831903E-9B68-43D6-9FDA-3728231E5C64.jpeg

Close up of Marsilea - notice die back and tiny new growth:
1F583A07-3D22-4C84-B676-AE38277EF97D.jpeg

Time lapse:
7A65F43C-FE34-4BB5-827E-C36D6ECA96EE.png

Day 73 Update:

The good:
- I may be the first person in a dry start to need to cut the stems before flooding!
- Lots of Eriocaulon flowers.
- Moss is going crazy and looks good.

The bad :
- Marsilea never really got going. It’s not died but neither has it prospered. It is also very hard to maintain emersed in such a small tank.

I’m away for a few days. Will flood next weekend and see how this responds to liquid ferts and CO2!

28258e237f5ae9e59c939dd1ccd6f4fa.jpg

90e4d5de8ef2cf2fa32998d6b0c4ba7d.jpg

cf84af4fad1b6dd81e5312e09b3ea2ba.jpg

After the trim:

5ae8216fad57508aaa112b9825285130.jpg

Day 95 (14 days since flooding)

A long hiatus posting because since I flooded 2 weeks ago it's been challenging and I got pretty disenchanted with the whole thing.

The bad:
Flooding was a nightmare - moss detached from stone, chunks of Marsilea and Eriocaulon had very short roots and floated out of the substrate at the slightest disturbance. This negated all the benefits of a dry start. Maybe it would have gone better if I'd used fresh substrate with a proper nutrient load, but the dry start didn't get me the rich Marsilea carpet I was hoping for. I now regret not flooding immediately and simply blasting the CO2.
Another wrinkle was that I'd never used CO2 diffusers before - only in line reactors. In comparison they are a PITA - it's been a headache and a learning experience with leaking tubes and broken diffusors and basically nothing working right first time.

The good:
My Pogostemon Erectus is doing well, CO2 is blasting, other stuff is starting to go and the situation is not irredeemable.

An FTS - if you get closer it isn't so pretty...

67013446a6e458eca7cbabe82e0800f3.jpg

128 days (47 days after flooding)

This is FINALLY starting to work. I had minor problems with traces of BGA which I am combatting with 50% water changes every 2 days. Hint: you can easily suck it off moss with an airline syphon. I’ve added 11 jelly blue Neocardina Davidi and they are all growing nicely.

840f7ca79b3389399e4c019a8689bf14.jpg

c1b934501c4c2bd8c9df49f5f747be64.jpg

ef0a6cae116c8bddb8c34bc2d479640d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back