• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10l Shrimp Tank, need help identifying a plant please

edhardy95

Seedling
I set the tank up yesterday, it's a superfish qubie 10l tank, and today I went and bought some new plants. The substrate is ocean free aqua gro soil. I'm hoping to add a small colony of Red Cherry Shrimp once its established and cycled. In the pictures you can see my Java Fern and mystery plant which I think is anubias, but if anyone could positively ID I would be very grateful. Would anybody recommend adding fertilisers or liquid carbon? Thanks

Pictures here
http://m.imgur.com/a/hiIjk

They are a cryptocoryne species so nice and easy and should suit the tank well. You java fern on the wood looks good but make sure the rhizome of the one on the substrate isn't buried.

Hi
Welcome to the forum
Your mystery plant is a Cryptocornye.
Difficult to make out exactly which one.
Good news is that they're easy to grow,doesn't need much light.

Thanks very much for the prompt replies! The leaves have now spread out on the crypts and I think I can see it beginning to take root. How long will the crypts take to get established and grow? Have just moved the java fern from the substrate on the right and onto the wood.

Your Cryptocorynes are too young/small to make a sure ID, sorry.....
They are defenitely of the Cryptocoryne wendtii type - most likely Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica' ( but not absolutely certain !!)
Wendtii types of Cryptocoryne usually are very fast at rooting and establish themselves - you should see gbrowth in a few weeks, possibly earlier.
P.S. since they are NOT Anubias, you should ensure all roots are well buried in soil. Some of the plants look like they could do with a bit deeper planting.
Have fun with your tank - it will grow to look very nice......:thumbup:

Brilliant, glad to finally know what I've got, thanks everyone! My crypts are now properly planted in the substrate, and I can definitely see new leaves coming through :D
I'm thinking of buying some easy carbo and tropica fertiliser. Do I need the one with nitrates and phosphorous? Or rather nothing at all?
Thanks

Your Microsorum - "Java-fern" - and your Cryptocorynes can grow happily without added Easy Carbo, but will benefit from a little of it.
They can't really grow happily without added Nitrates and Phosphorus, though, in this kind of set-up.

Back