• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 Gallon Dutch hybrid version 2.0

plantbrain

Expert
Been picking at the tank, have a couple of changes still to make(story of my life). Tank has bounced back as far dosing/ferts, no algae or other issues.
Never missed a beat after being totally broken down and set up again.

The H araguaia and the Blood vomits, I'll make a few changes in there I think, The Blood Vomits are a great little plant, but I need some more red in there to get the balance. the rest just needs a little more and for things to grow in and trimmed a times to get nice thicker growth.
the tiny leaf plant is the Elatine hydropiper which I had in the Left corner initially, it's growing well actually as is the UG which seems to be due to the new ADA aqua soil I added, maybe a 9 liter bad extra.

I removed the Botia.

topview1124better_zpsb40a2df4.jpg
sideview1124_zps17436e59.jpg

Roomview1124_zps14e4c9cd.jpg
couchview1124_zps3dc86458.jpg

The new plants list and some returning species:
Blood Vomits "Tirthuria sp"
Elatine hydropiper
Rotala Green
Cuphea
Ludwigia sphaerocarpus
Syn. variety Lago Grande
Crypt affinis metallic red

I am most pleased with the Cuphea, it's really taken well and was very green and emergent grown when I got it. Now it's made into a very nice red group that's easy to manage.
I'll be using more of the Mini pellia in this tank to soften the harsh structure and I broken the middle up a bit more.

Very nice I like the use of colour. The replanting around the roots compliment the wood nicely:)

The elephant noses shall stay, they are pets and I've had them for awhile. I wish they'd eat RCS. They eat brine, live etc, and mysid, but will not touch the live cherries. If I mash the live RCS, they will eat that.
Weird.

I plan to chose the fish sometime this week or next when I'm at the wholesaler.
I have just a few changes left and then just grow the sucker.

I'll likely redo this tank sooner than the old one and redo the scheme. I am thinking a simpler design, but still strong contrast.
The more complex, the more species I can stuff in there, but.........the visual impact is less from far away and there's nothing like a larger healthy fat row of plants that are rare, and not used often in planted aquariums.

For now, the basic design is set, and a few small tweaks will fix the front.

Some changes and I have a theme in mind later.
Rotala Sunset, Erio Compressum, and Ludwigia sphaerocarpa are all nice native USA plants that have recently come into the hobby via the work of fellow hobbyist.
Highlighting these species will be pretty much the central region of this tank.
I have to move a couple of things and wait for the plants to grow in some more.
I'll also be adding as row of Syngonanthus uaupes in the front and hack back some of the UG.
I can move the Tonina to the rear section somewhere and add the Erio compressum there, or maybe Erio setaceum type 3, we will see. Depends if I can get good growth form from the Erio compressum.
I might move the Tonina back to the far Right where it was before and then scratch the Syngonathus "madeira".
I also have Hydrocotyle verticillata I may work in somewhere.
Another native I've never seen in aquarium other than one book is P. americana, a nice little grass like fern. I have to wait till spring to hunt for it. It's local for me. So that's 5 months away.
Some groups need to grow out, some need added still, but the overall color and contrast is coming together.
Topviewschematic_zpsd2fd6338.jpg
SideviewDec7_zps30e7f005.jpg
angleviewDec7_zpsd09e6155.jpg

I might move the Tonina where the Rotala Sunset is and then move it up front somewhere maybe or somewhere in the back.

All the Rotala sunset transplants are doing well and no melt.
I'll be hacking the Cuphea tomorrow, not sure if I should uproot and trim that, or trim like a hedge.
I think I'll try the hedge method 1st.
I'll hack the UG and sold some of that and the Cuphea and a few others that need a trim already. Tank is already making money.
The Blood vomit is growing well also. That will sell reasonably well for 10$ a plant.
The Syngnoanthus varieties will come later this week, so I'll prep the area for planting tomorrow.
I think I'll try bring back the Erio type 3 also. I really enjoy that plant.

Glad you swapped out the crypt that was in back corner .It just didn't look right and too close to glass.
Very much like the replacement plant but don't know plant's well enough to name it.

Hygro araguaia, pretty easy plant, the Crypts take more time to fill in a look nice.
But I like this color more personally and Found a better long term home in another tank for the Crypts.

Hygro araguaia, pretty easy plant, the Crypts take more time to fill in a look nice.
But I like this color more personally and Found a better long term home in another tank for the Crypts.

I like the plant very much. Would it do well in low tech with moderate light?

I like the plant very much. Would it do well in low tech with moderate light?

I would think so since Crypts and similar type plants(the Hygro has Crypt like attributes). C affinis is the oldest kept Crypt that grew well for many hobbyists in the 1970's and before.

I redid the Blood vomit section, looks much better now, sold 20 small plants= 200$.
Still need a nice small foreground section on the right perhaps.

Reactions: tim
Back